Friday, October 13, 2006

Dying and Living

I have been frantically busy this week but yesterday helped me get in touch with reality.

I attended the funeral for a woman who was almost eighty and did nothing her entire life. Peggy was born with mental and physical limitations so she never married or raised a family or discovered meaningful employment or contributed to any organization.

She was something, someone, nonetheless. She was a child of God, as the minister who conducted the service pointed out with compassion. Her smile, her love of music and simple pleasures touched those around her.

I was there because Peggy was the sister of family friends. I met her years ago but I can't say I knew her. Still, I was touched by what was said at the funeral and reminded that we are loved in Christ as a gift of grace, not as something we earn by virtue of a list of accomplishments.

I went immediately after the service to a hospital where I visited a mother with her newborn baby. This sweet little guy is entirely dependent on his parents and others for every need, but he is already loved and cherished.

Both of these "holy moments" reminded me that I need to keep my priorities straight. A United Church statement of faith says "in life, in death, in life beyond death, God is with us. We are not alone."

No comments: