Monday, November 13, 2006

Wonderfully Made

There is a first for everything! I just received an email from a young couple with the heading "My Baby." I was puzzled, knowing that they were expecting in April. They were excited because they just had an ultrasound done and could see the future, so they sent it to everyone on their email list. I haven't included their "baby picture" for reasons of privacy but it is remarkable to see photos of infants in the womb.

This immediately made me think of the verses from Psalm 139 which say to God "for it was you who formed my inward parts you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made..."

Sadly, I read these verses at the funeral for premature twins not long ago. It was a small service with only a few family members in attendance. They all shed tears of loss for the children they had never known. But the psalmist assures us that we are created and known by God from the beginning. This is of great comfort to me, and while we don't have guarantees at any stage of life I look forward to celebrating with the couple who sent me the email in a few months.

No comments: