Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Don to Earth

One of my blog readers passed on a Toronto Star article about Donald Crowdis who, at the age of 93, is one of the oldest bloggers around. His Don to Earth has made him something of a celebrity.

Scores of people -- sometimes more than a hundred -- read his entries which are simply written yet eloquent musings on the twilight of life and the inevitable end. Here is an example

Apparently, I have had a TIA, a transient ischemic attack, and like blogs, this is now a part of my life, for a long time to come, I sincerely hope. To those less familiar with medical terminology, I've had a small stroke. This was just hours before I turned 93, and it affects my writing. If it is a good thing, it is because it will also affect my behaviour, causing me to attend to matters that I have postponed, but which should not be left to my heirs. Some of what I need to do is simply to simplify.

His honesty and an ability to write have attracted a fan base that surprises him. It's encouraging to know that his sage reflections on life are being received so positively. He is an elder in the deepest sense of that word, and his readers understand this.

I notice that he hasn't written since February 14th --Valentine's Day. God be with him and his wife.

No comments: