Friday, March 30, 2007

Pausing to Pray



On Sunday two individuals approached me at different times during the "meet and greet" time following worship. They asked me to pray for them during this week. One was about to undergo a job review. The other was in the midst of jury duty and deliberations were about to begin.

I said that I would pray and have remembered to do so. I nearly always encourage people to pray themselves because my prayers have no more "suction" (the term of a Afro-American preacher) than those of anyone else.

Even though people pray in virtually every culture around the world it can be a challenge to know what to pray. In Canterbury Cathedral there is an invitation to light a candle as a focus for prayer:

I didn't know how to pray

I didn't know what to say

I didn't have much time

The light which I offered was

a little of my time

a little of myself...

When we pray we reflect Christ's light and we are the light of the world.

No comments: