Friday, April 20, 2007

Right to Dry


This Sunday is Earth Day and we can all consider how we might leave less of a Bigfoot environmental footprint. Sometimes the task seems daunting and we don't consider the little things we can do, such as using our clotheslines.
Do you realize that the clothes dryer is one of the biggest "energy hogs" in your home? Unfortunately some municipalities ban the use of clotheslines because they are aesthetically displeasing. Snobs.
There is actually a Right to Dry movement with a website --fun!http://www.laundrylist.org/advocacy/righttodry.htm
I doubt that my wife, Ruth, would live in a community where she couldn't hang out clothes. She got hooked when we lived in outport Newfoundland. Monday was washing day, and everyone would hang out their clothing in orderly fashion from the largest to the smallest items. Of course, the wind is always blowing on The Rock.
What are you planning to change to live more graciously on God's good earth? I would love to hear your resolutions.

7 comments:

Cam said...

Interesting website, but I found it interesting that they don't actually have directions on how to install your own cloths line.

Nancy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nancy said...

I have decided to take my own cloth grocery bags to the grocery store more frequently. I am trying to do it all of the time but find that I have to form the habit first. I am getting there!! I am amazed at the response of the clerks. Sometimes they frown on it, other times they say, "good for you" other times they have left my groceries and bags at the end of the conveyor belt for me to bag myself! This has all happened within the same store! Using the self serve check outs poses another problem because everything is by weight and my bags create a weight that has not been anticipated. A learning curve for the grocery chains too!

David Mundy said...

We are doing the same as Nancy, and slowly getting our memories in line with our intentions. It takes a while.

We got some of the reusable bags from Costco, which are spacious and sturdy, as well as one from MEC which is huge.

Lynnof60 said...

I am becoming more conscious of packaging. If I can buy something from the bulk barn as opposed to large plastic containers I will do that..like Nancy I, too, 'plan' to take bags to the grocery store but am not always on top of it. Just keep trying!

Nan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nan said...

I'm with Ruth. My mom always hung the clothes out to dry and I often got to bring them in. I've always had a clothesline and there is nothing nicer than the smell of the clothes when they come in. Our son does his own laundry, and I often come home from work to find his laundry hanging on the line.
As far as grocery bags go, we have started taking cloth bags to do some of our shopping. We seem to have quite a collection and they work well for groceries.
By the way David this is my first visit to your blog and I really appreciate the time you take to share such wonderful stories and messages.