Wednesday, May 16, 2007

How the Mighty have Fallen


A few days ago Tony Blair announced his June resignation. He has been Prime Minister of Britain for ten years, an impressive run. When I was in Britain last September I was aware that he had become a reviled figure for many, curious because the antagonism toward him in his homeland is much greater than in other nations. The debacle in Iraq and the preception that he is George Bush's lackey has undermined his popularity.
The record shows that Blair's government has done exceedingly well in governing. The economy is robust, debt has been kept under control. This has been done while greatly expanding social programs that had been starved during the Thatcher years. As an example, far fewer children are living in poverty and some suggest the eradicating child poverty is now an attainable goal, something only dreamed about in Canada and the U.S. Oddly, these positive programs to address the needs of those on the margins of society have been downplayed by the government out of concern that they will be perceived as "soft."
One assessment of his role as leader speaks of Blair's deep religious convictions. He is a Christian and acts out of a strong sense of what is moral and ethical. While many of us may feel that he took a serious wrong turn when it came to involvement in Iraq, he acted on what he thought best for the country and the world.
Perhaps it is the sobering reality of being in my fifties (I am a year younger than Prime Minister Tony) that makes me wonder about the notion of a legacy. Do I make choices as a leader for the sake of popularity or because of what I believe is right for the flock I serve? I hope it is generally the latter. I promise I will never lead my congregation into a war in the Middle East.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

I think that people who leave legacies are ones who make choices for things they truly believe in. You talked yesterday about Manny Castillo, I don't know if you heard some of the CBC coverage, but his brother was heard to say: People talk of legacies, and I wondered how a 15 year old could leave a legacy, but look around..." He was referring to the out pouring of support, letters, food, flowers, friends etc that the family had received. In his eyes his brother had made a difference in the world. Legacies are our mark on the world, and I think anyone at any age can do so, and it is all about the choices they make.

Cam said...

The nature of your postion, means you will leave a lasting impression on our community.