Friday, May 11, 2007

Life and Death and Life Beyond Death

I began yesterday in conversation with a young mother who is to give birth to her second child today, by Caesarian section. While she was a bit apprehensive she was much more excited than worried.
In the afternoon I visited an elderly man in the hospital who was so close to death that he was not responsive. I spoke with his wife at the bedside. She told me about their 62 years of marriage and her conviction that God had given her the strength for all the health problems her husband had experienced.
In the evening I met with two families whose children will be baptized on Sunday. The mood shifted back to celebration.
Today the older member died and I spent time with the family planning the funeral. Because he was a person of faith it will be a celebration of his life and the resurrection promise.
Our United Church creed says "in life, in death, in life beyond death, God is with us, we are not alone." We affirm this in every situation of our life in community.

No comments: