Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Seven Wonders, One Christ

A contest was just completed in which people were asked to vote on seven alternate wonders of the world to augment the ancient list. Probably the least deserving from an architectural standpoint is the one I'm pleased to see on the list. It is the 30-metre-tall figure of Christ which overlooks the city of Rio de Janeiro in South America. While I'm sure it is spectacular, visible day and night, there were other candidates more "wonderful" from a design standpoint.

This sculpture is an important reminder of Christ's constant presence in any circumstance. Rio is a city with great wealth and abject poverty. There is both religious fervour and the hedonism of its beaches and Carnival. These contrasts are real life and Christ is there in them all, offering a new and different way.

We may not be at church as much during the summer but this is a good time to ask how Christ is part of our lives in every day. Sometimes I get the feeling that Jesus is pushed into the background of our faith. Even when he is present, looming large and hands outstretched, we fail to notice him in our busyness. There is a hymn with the words:

Come to my heart, Lord Jesus; teach me to walk in your way.
Come to my heart, Lord Jesus come to my heart today.

A pretty good prayer for summer reflection.

No comments: