Friday, August 03, 2007

Making the World a Better Place

I will be gone for a bit as we come and go on vacation. Thanks for reading during these summer days.
I thought I would conclude with a "feel good" story. Actually it is bad news/good news. The almost incessant bad news is about spoiled and cheating athletes. Steroids, blood doping, dog fighting. What ever happened to honesty and fair play?
The good news? Two guys, Cal Ripken and Tony Gwynn, were just inducted into the baseball hall of fame and they were two of the best. Ripken holds the record with well over 2000 consecutive games played and Gwynn won eight batting titles. They were "lunch pail" stars and while they were certainly well compensated for playing a game, their quiet commitment and discipline was and is much admired. In his acceptance speech Ripken offered:
I know some fans have looked at the streak as a special accomplishment, and while I appreciate that, I always looked at it as just showing up for work every day. As I look out on this audience I see thousands of people who do the same, teachers, police officers, mothers, fathers, business people and many others. You all may not receive the accolades that I have throughout my career, so I'd like to take the time out to salute all of you for showing up, working hard and making the world a better place. Thank you all.
The emphasis in the text is mine. It would be wonderful if we had a steady succession of spiritual "highs" -- our version of the hall of fame -- but for the most part the life of faith is the discipline of showing up, working hard, and making the world a better place.
If we are willing to be disciples, Christ will take of the rest. Shalom.

1 comment:

Cam said...

good point.

Sometimes just showing up is an accomishment in and of itself.