Sunday, September 02, 2007

Labour Day

Sam the sheepdog and Ralph the wolf used to "punch out" on the time clock after a hard day protecting and chasing sheep. These were fun cartoons. Soon more than a thousand GM workers in Oshawa will no longer need to do the equivalent of punching the clock and their lives will change. Along with economic hardship there may be a crisis of meaning. Our work shapes our sense of self.

Did you know that the Labour Day tradition began in Canada in 1872? The US and Britain and other countries observe it, but it began with us. So you can be grateful for Canucks of yore for this long weekend. http://www.nupge.ca/news_2003/n01se03a.htm

Of course some of us work today and tomorrow. Our older daughter is at home from university this summer and working. While she doesn't like working Sundays, it is required in the job with which she pays for a good part of her education. She wishes she could come to church and she feels a bit guilty. Needless to say, I work most Sundays myself. I do go to church for my job but I really don't get to worship because I'm "on." Sometimes I wish I could just rest on the Christian Sabbath after nearly 30 years of being a worship leader. This morning we spoke briefly over breakfast and headed to our places of employment.

I will be speaking about the balance between work and play and worship this morning because of the Labour Day weekend. I hope you can find that challenging equilibrium in your own life through the grace of Christ.


No comments: