Friday, December 14, 2007

Blessed Interruptions

There is so much to do at this time of year. Lots of folk to visit who can't get out for services of the season. And those services! Tons of planning and orders of worship to prepare well in advance so the office staff aren't overwhelmed. Don't panic, don't panic, you've done this before, I tell myself.

So I suppose that's why God has sent plenty of interruptions my way this past week. Phone calls and stop-bys that I couldn't have anticipated. On Sunday afternoon I was settling in for the football game I had waited for with great anticipation... when the phone rang. An elderly person in hospital was failing. Thanks for the information...sort of. Ruth suggested I go the next day. I decided to get up and go. The person is still with us, but I just needed to respond.

Other people in crisis or lonely. This time of the year is difficult for many, and the Christmas season amplifies the pain. Interruptions. A colleague in hospital with a sudden and life-threatening illness.

The work will get done, I tell myself. Don't panic. And if not me, who will respond? I'm certainly not indispensible or "God's gift" to ministry. I'm no saint either. Sometimes I grumble and groan on the inside. But there are moments when the relationship of trust is so important.

There are times when the interruptions and that essential human interaction are what are first and foremost.

Isn't God's blessed interruption in Christ what this season is all about?

No comments: