Friday, December 21, 2007

Christmas Elders

Rembrant van Rijn

Often lost in the Christmas season is the reading from Luke 2: 25-40 about Joseph and Mary taking Jesus to the temple for presentation to two elders, Anna and Simeon. We aren't given information about Simeon's age, but Anna was 84 -- ancient in those days. They are described as devout and spirit-filled people who awaited the coming of the Messiah.

Once again we have been visiting our elders and this week I will see at least eight people over the age of ninety, including one who is 101 years old! Often I read the Christmas story from scripture and offer a prayer. Some are amazingly bright even though their bodies are letting them down. Others are a little less mentally focussed. Conversations can take on a surreal quality.

A couple of days ago I chatted with one great old guy named Joe who recently moved to a nursing home and is somewhat disoriented. But when I wished him a happy birthday he brightened "I'm 95 years old" he told me " -- in my 96th year!"

Our elders are often out of sight but we don't want them to be out of mind. They are part of the history of our faith communities and still important in the present.

No comments: