Monday, February 04, 2008

Ash Monday


Last week I asked our custodian if she had a secret stash of palm branches from last year's Palm Sunday service. She did, and by the next day there were two sizeable bundles of very dry branches in my study.

Since the forecast is for rain over the next 36 hours I took them into our backyard this morning and burned them in a metal bowl which I have used for this purpose for at least 20 years. It's a strange activity which begins with an almost alarming blaze which crackles and flares. Until I got the hang of it I had some anxious moments along the way. I have learned palm branch fire management over time.

What is fascinating for me is that these veritable forests of palm branches are quickly consumed and what is left is a glowing pile of ash in the bottom of the bowl which becomes more and more dust-like as it is stirred. By the time I'm done it is an insignificant mound of ash which will soon be combined with olive oil to make a gooey paste. At our Ash Wednesday service people will step forward to receive the sign of the cross on their foreheads, made with this curious mixture.

I say to each person "the past is behind you, the future is before you...walk the Lenten road with Christ." We need our "start again" moments in the journey of faith and Ash Wednesday is one of them. Rather than focussing solely on penitence we emphasize new beginnings.
We usually have some childen at our service and I'm sure they have only the vaguest notion of what it happening even after I have explained it. Last year one little guy was pleased with the airplane on his forehead! We hope that they will come to a deeper understanding. For others it is an emotional moment for letting go of some of the baggage that can make our faith journey a chore rather than an adventure.

The ashes for Wednesday have been prepared this Monday. I hope you will join us.

2 comments:

Lynnof60 said...

I, for one, have it 'penned' in my calendar. It is a very moving, soul-filled service. I am looking forward to it.

David Mundy said...

Thanks Lynn. Thanks twice!