Saturday, February 02, 2008

Eco-faith of the Irish


I often wonder how much I should follow up on previous blogs. I am obviously following my own interests in what I write and reflect upon, and because it is a personal blog I don't have to apologize.

One of the eco-faith stories I picked up on is the use of plastic bags. I started with the leadership of Ireland which slapped a hefty tax of 33 cents per bag, payable at the time of purchase. Later I mentioned what we have chosen to do in carrying reusable bags with us to the supermarket, although many cashiers still seem bewildered by the concept. I also brought to your attention the decision of China to end the use of plastic bags. Countries as diverse as Bangladesh and Australia are planning to do the same.

You may be interested to know that the decision has worked in Ireland where the use of plastic bags has dropped by more that ninety per cent. Walking around with a plastic bag in hand is considered as socially unacceptable as letting one's pooch poop on someone else's lawn. It is a reminder that attitudes can change in a hurry.

There are no plastic bag manufacturers in Ireland, so no outcry from those who will lose business and jobs. And there are still 42 billion plastic bags created every year on the planet, so there is a way to go yet.

But when I see the reusable bags hanging on our side doorknob waiting to go back into the car for the next grocery trip I am heartened that we are making our small effort in making a difference on God's green Earth. I hope that's not blarney.

No comments: