Saturday, February 02, 2008

Sugary Coincidence


Shortly after posting this morning's blog I walked over to the excellent bakery on King St. in Bowmanville called Sugar's. There was a notice posted by the cash register saying that as of the fifteenth of this month plastic bags would no longer be supplied. I chatted with the owners who told me that they had seen a documentary about the effect of plastic bags on marine creatures, including sea turtles. When researchers did autopsies on turtles washed ashore they found kilograms of plastic in some of them.

So the bakery owners decided to do what they can, bag by bag. They figure if whole countries can "ban the bag" Bowmanville can follow suit.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

read this blog with interest, for I responded before re my efforts to make use of cloth bags now as well. I am good about taking them to the grocery story but am now making a conscious effort to take them into all stores.
I was at Mountain Equipment Co-op this afternoon and was asked if I wanted a bag or not. I responded "no" and took my purchases in my arms. More stores need to do this rather than assume we all need bags. I

David Mundy said...

Thanks Nancy,

Yup,it becomes a matter of habit over time and it really doesn't take long.