Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Greening of Faith and Politics


I'm getting a kick out of feisty Elizabeth May, the leader of Canada's Green Party. Other party leaders wanted to keep her away from that dubious shindig called the televised leaders' debate. There was public outrage when the word got out that these guys wouldn't participate if she was there (hardly likely) and they eventually caved.

May is probably the most articulate of the party leaders and least inclined to bafflegab. The party may be shut out of electing a member to parliament once again but I'm convinced she will keep the other leaders honest in the debate on environmental issues. Let's hope she doesn't get goofy and strident the way participants often do in these debates.

Despite our national nervousness about the economy the environment still ranks number two as an election issue, and of course economy and ecology are closely related both in word origin and practical impact on Canadians.

I don't believe for a moment that her inclusion will open the door for just any kook to take part in the debate. The Greens have found candidates for virtually every riding in the country. May has earned our respect through years of government involvement and activism and should be treated accordingly.

Did anyone notice that our devout P.M. chose a Sunday morning to call the election? And that liberal-minded Elizabeth May was put out because it interfered with going to church? Life is filled with ironies.

4 comments:

NJK said...

Hi David:
Just checked in to see if you are back to blogging and I am deligthed to see you are! I had to do some back reading to catch up. I really appreciate your reflections and missed you while you were away. I am glad your time away was renewing and restorative. Do your best to resist the pressures and desires to re-enter too quickly.
As to this particulare blog I really admire Elizabeth May and agree that she is bringing a breath of fresh (green?) air to the political scene. It surely needs it. In faith, Nancy

David Mundy said...

Hi Nancy. Thanks for your words of support and congrats on entering the world of blogger responses. I came to realize during my two months away from blogging that I do it principally for the creative outlet, but I really enjoy hearing from readers. Often their insights stir more thoughts for me.

A Mom of 2 said...

Hi David:

Nice to see that you are getting back into the swing of things S-L-O-W-L-Y. I too like Eliz. and wish her well in her bid to green up the world.

David Mundy said...

Thanks A Mom!