Tuesday, September 23, 2008

I Love to Tell the Story


I'm glad that I was two-thirds of the way through The Story of Edgar Sawtelle when Oprah chose it as her most recent "book to read." I'm a bit perverse about Celebooks, the ones chosen by media stars. I see those stickers on the cover and turn elsewhere. They have every right to recommend books they enjoy, and often they are very good. It's just that I don't want that lemming feeling of being herded with the crowd. Oprah made a good pick by the way -- Edgar Sawtelle is an engrossing read, but I might not have bought it on her say-so.

I have noticed that a number of this blog's readers enjoy reading in general and novels in particular. Why do we read? There is the diversion and entertainment factor and let's face it, television reality shows just don't cut it a lot of the time.

There is something powerful in good story-telling that allows us understand ourselves and our world in a way that facts and figures just can't touch. As Christians we are part of a bigger story of love, forgiveness, pilgrimage, reconciliation, that is the "greatest story ever told." When people try to reduce the bible to an instruction manual or rule book I feel that they have missed the point of the greater narrative. This summer Ruth and I read through the Older Testament book called 1 Samuel. This story of Samuel and Saul and David is disturbing, challenging, nasty, inspiring. Sort of like life. We didn't like lots of it, but the narrative is quite gripping.

Why and what do you read?

7 comments:

Lynnof60 said...

I can't remember a time when I didn't like to read. I remember (and this was a VERY long time ago)sitting with my Mother in a Dr's office and I was reading out loud from a magazine. I could clearly see that I was impressing those in the waiting room - perhaps that wasn't the beginning of my reading enjoyment but my 'entertaining' gene??? My first 'chapter' book was Anne of Green Gables and I will always hold it special. Unlike you when Oprah says it's so then it's so, altho' I have not enjoyed all of her books. I read to learn, to escape, to laugh, to cry and to help me fall asleep.
I am reading a new author (to me) whose name is Tom Winton - this is a book of short stories and I look forward to reading on of his novels...

shirport said...

I too read to learn,escape,laugh,cry and most especially to fall asleep.Escaping for half an hour to someone else's world seems to work just as well as a sleeping pill for me.
If the previous commenter has happy memories of "Anne of Green Gables" I think she would enjoy "Before Green Gables" by Halifax author Budge Wilson. It fills in some of the background of Anne's life before she comes to P.E.I. Delightful!

David Mundy said...

Thanks Lynn and Shirley. Welcome Shirl!

Anonymous said...

I read to walk a farther journey, and I write to return home again.

When I was just 17, I quit highschool in order to support myself. I made a promise to myself that I would not let ignorance be my fate. My father often told us that ignorance was never an excuse. So I read. I read because not to would have closed what few doors remained available to me. The first book I read after leaving home was A Freudian Primer. (The Lord only knows what this says about me) I figured, I should start with a book about my mind, because I was so very near losing mine. In the end I lost my mind anyway, but I was able to find it again. (a matter of opinion I suppose)I had thought my life was as hard as life could get, but then I opened a newspaper and discovered an entire world outside of myself. The world got bigger.My problems got smaller. There was more out there than I had previously known. And so I read newspapers, I read poetry, I read about history, geography, science, religion, theology, and I read fiction because to read fiction amazed me. A life could be imagined, lived out, and learned from without once leaving the mind behind. It spoke of the power of thought that something as simple as ink on paper could open a door in my head and without any visible or material manifestation change my circumstances.

David Mundy said...

Thanks Village Idiot. You are obviously not an idiot of any kind.
Your comments about literature capture my own appreciation of literature.

Deborah Laforet said...

Since I've graduated, I have had more opportunity to read, and I have taken advantage of it. I am part of book club, and I have recently discovered that I enjoy sci-fi and fantasy. I always write down suggestions when I hear them, so I have a long list of books that will keep me busy for awhile. I even finally read a couple of Jane Austen books this summer. I will write down this new one that you are reading. I look forward to trying it out.

David Mundy said...

Welcome back Deb!