Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Societal Good or Anti-social?

I rode my bicycle to the gym yesterday and darn near froze (if Sarah Palin can use quaint phrases so can I.) It has occurred to me that always driving to my exercise is something of a contradiction. Thanks to the great weather in September and now October we have been cycling from home as much as possible rather than using a vehicle to transport us to a trail.

I had to laugh when our daughter Jocelyn, who is living at home for a while, informed us that her boyfriend, a Bowmanville native, observed (not unkindly) that riding a bicycle past the teen years is usually an indication of a DUI conviction and license suspension in these parts. Here I thought we were shining examples of healthy living, environmental responsibility and putting our faith into practice when others may assume that we have been convicted of drunk driving. How could I have known that cycling was falsely"outing" me for anti-social behaviour?

I suppose even minor lifestyle choices can be taken for oddities in personality and practice and there is no point in adopting them for the way they will be perceived by others. We just do what we think is right and faithful and hope that it is.

The bicycles may be retired for the season soon because of the weather but not because of how it might look. Although, if I'm riding in a straight line, it's for the good of the planet. If you see me weaving all over the road, call the cops.
Speaking of Sarah Palin, go to the Saturday Night Live website to catch their take on the vice-presidential debate. Hilarious.

5 comments:

Lynnof60 said...

Sarah Palin is a true gift to Tina Fey!

David Mundy said...

This from Nancy D., whose internetsecurity wouldn't let her post it.

You are not alone with comments from young people re riding or walking for that
matter. This summer we made it a habit as well to walk or ride as much as possible.
Our daughter always complained about walking but riding was a different story - she
loved it! Last night she was quite upset with me that she had to walk to Girl
Guides, (Trinity church)and made the comment, "this is dumb, everyone else gets a
ride to Guides", my response, we aren't everyone else. More discussion on staying
healthy and saving the planet. To prove my point even further, we picked her up on
foot!

We need to start these habits with our younger children so that they don't see
adults who are riding bicycles as those who have perhaps had charges of DUI.
Interesting that this is what young people think, I would have never thought of that!

Saw the Saturday Night Live skit, it was hilarious!

Anonymous said...

For a time I ate a vegetarian diet in the hopes of improving a health condition. I found myself constantly defending myself. You'd have thought I put laxitives in the meat.

Deborah Laforet said...

Living an alternative lifestyle can feel like an uphill struggle. We do not eat wheat or dairy and I don't eat corn because of allergies/intolerances. We do not use our dryer or the dishwasher. We compost. We walk and ride our bikes. We do not drink bottled water. We do all this knowing it is good for us and the earth.

We have had a lot of raised eyebrows, curious comments, and a lot of skepticism (For ex. Washing dishes by hand is just as bad as using a dishwasher.)

I do agree that we need to start with our children. I know though that this is getting more difficult as my boys grow older. They will have to make their own decisions. I just hope I will have had some influence on those decisions.

David Mundy said...

Aside from the positive impact on the world around us, however small it may be, the "mindfulness" in what we do is essential. It may not make a huge difference that we walk or eat less meat or wash dishes by hand, but it is an important statement about living simply. Sometimes being faithful is as important as effecting change. Thanks for these comments.