Sunday, December 14, 2008

O Tannenbaum


With ten-foot ceilings in the manse we need a whole lot of Christmas tree to fill out the space, so yesterday we headed north early in search of the perfect specimen. As we approached Tyrone we stopped in at Archibald's for a season's supply of cider and a big bag of apples. At Powell's, close to Long Sault, we were virtually alone because it was earlier in the morning. We tramped around for a while with saw at the ready, but in the end we returned to the pre-cut trees and a fine spruce which turned out to be almost exactly the right height. Things went well. We tied it to the roof of the car and managed to get it home without mishap. Then we wrestled it through the front door and into place with a minimum of spousal squabbling. Mission accomplished.
The tree at Christmas is yet another pagan tradition pilfered by Christianity. The evergreen tree now symbolizes, new life, rebrith, resurrection. Legend has it that reformer Martin Luther was walking home one evening and noticed the starlight twinkling through the branches of an evergreen tree. So began the tradition of candles on the branches which eventually became electric lights.

As you can see, our lights are now on the tree. Within the next few days our three adult children will get out their individual boxes of ornaments which are gifts from around the world, contributed by their globe-trotting grandmother.

What is your choice for a tree. Real or artificial? Any traditions?

6 comments:

Laurie said...

Real!, Our ceiling is 12 feet, so a big tree, we chop it down from our woods. My son has a very large collection of super hero ornaments and we have collected ones from every place we go. It is a good thing our tree is big. We host the family Christmas party, last year 87 people. The little ones are in awe of the big tree. We turn off all lights except the Christmas ones and my uncle reads the Christmas story. It is a special moment.

Nancy said...

Real, and we chop it down ourselves. We too often have spousal discussions upon bringing in the tree, but not this year. I like the tree we have, as does my husband but it was not our first choice. Out in the field as we discussed our daughter said, "what about me?" She was right, she needed to be in on the decision and so it was her choice we chose. A little small for our 10 foot ceilings but very special for her, and that's what matters. When Joe and I were first married we had very few decorations, but we decided we would collect them from our travels, which is what we have done. Ukranie, Russia, UK, France, Atlantic Canada and of course China. Each tells a story. This year, for the first time our daughter was able to tell some of the stories. I often wonder if I was building traditions and memories for my child, yesterday I saw that I am, as she unpacked the boxes of ornaments and told the stories.

Anonymous said...

Real. Years ago Kevin bought a giant artificial tree that was way too big for our space. He insisted the boys needed the biggest tree possible. Ten years of side-stepping and inhaling to get around it. Still, though the real trees are much smaller, I leave the room when he puts on the lights. (I am assuming no explanation is necessary)

David Mundy said...

Interesting to hear about different choices and traditions, including getting out of the way! All three of you mentioned children.

Anyone else want to weigh in?

Patty said...

Real ... I can't imagine anything else. Making the time to cut it down and decorate it as a family is,to me, an important part of our family tradition. Watching the boys rediscover the decorations and deciding where to put them is truly a JOY moment for me. There would be another image for your photo run yesterday, David - a family Christmas tree.

Deborah Laforet said...

I grew up with an artificial tree and I still have one. Our tradition was always to put it up during Thanksgiving weekend (American!). I continue this tradition. It is a good way for me and my family to recognize our American half.

I continue to wonder which is better for our earth. If I ever get a clear answer, this is what I will follow. I know there are pros and cons to both sides.