Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Serving the Common Good


I can't help but look across the border and notice what is happening there politically, then comparing it with our Canadian situation.

President-elect Obama has put aside the temptation for "pay-back" by appointing a Democratic leadership rival and a prominent Republican to key leadership positions. Much of the U.S. media coverage applauds his efforts to form the most effective government possible to address the huge challenges of the day.

Here in Canada? The Prime Minister promised a new spirit of cooperation after the election, then included several "poison pill" items in the economic update that were partisan and petty. The opposition parties have responded with the proposal of a coalition government that may allow them to wrestle power from the Conservatives but sure doesn't look to be in the best interests of the Canadian people.

Is it too much to ask public servants to serve the public? Do they have a clue about how much is at stake here? I have blogged before about the privelege of voting which has an almost sacred quality because it allows us to participate in communal decision-making for a just society. I wish the politicians would model servant leadership for the betterment of Canada. Is this too much to ask?

How do you feel about all this?

6 comments:

Lynnof60 said...

Sadly, I know very little about the political 'game', however, when I listen to all of this on the news I can't help but feel a little ashamed. When I hear the yelling and screaming during parliamentary procedures I am underwhelmed. During this time when we need/want/are entitled to a positive leadership, one that will give us confidence that things are going to be alright, we get playground scrapping, name calling and general mayhem. I think they all need a 'time out'. Perhaps it isn't me that should feel ashamed.

David Mundy said...

One of our daughters who trained n early childhood education was startled when she witnessed the yapping going on in the House of Commons. Does this go on all the time she wondered? Unfortunately yes. I couldn't agree with you more Lynn.

Anonymous said...

Like Lynn I know very little about the political "game". I keep promising myself I will be more dilligent and at least attempt to follow things, but I quickly lose interest because it is too much like dealing with kids, and who said what to whom in the playground. I have no real sense that my vote means anything, although I continue to vote. I don't feel a connection between my act of voting and my life. Back during the leaders debate I heard Harper say that people are not worried about losing their houses. I thought I had heard wrong. I had thought it was me who was out of touch with politics, but I am thinking politicans have no idea who they are serving than alone how to go about it effectively. I feel as if voting is the equivelant of walking up to a wall and banging my head against it.

Deborah Laforet said...

I'm hearing that some of us feel disconnected from our government, but I wonder if the real problem is the government's disconnect with the people. Are they really there to serve or is it more about power and greed. I am reminded of the religious authorities in the gospels who quibbled over the law and were threatened by a man who spoke of justice and loving your neighbour.

I agree that at times it feels like a waste of time to protest or vote, but these "authorities" need to hear our voice. They need to be made to listen. I agree with Lynn; I also think they need a "time out," but who is going to give it to them? I think it has to be us.

Laurie said...

I am a political junkie. I think the coalition government could work and be more in tune with the people then Harper. It is an interesting time in Canadian politics.

David Mundy said...

I agree with you Laurie that coalition governments can work effectively and in European countries the Greens have joined with other parties in those coalitions. I'm also partial to minority governments.

The economic circumstances right now and the vindictiveness shown by just about everyone involved doesn't bode well.