Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Miracle Worker?


Well, I'm back from a continuing education week in the United States. I was the only Canadian and I had plenty of chats over meals about the state of the U.S. economy, universal health care, the war in I-rack, and today's inauguration. Sunday evening I talked with two women who remember well the civil rights movement of the 1960's. One of them said that she can hardly believe that this historic day has come. She was obviously emotional and admitted that she cried the night Obama was elected and probably would today as well.

A couple of times I commented that I didn't think "miracle worker" could be listed on President Obama's resume, and folk conceded that he has inherited a colossal mess which won't be easily addressed in these first weeks and months. But there is great hope in America and in the photo above you see people waiting in the cold of Washington overnight for today's inauguration.

My time away reminded me of the the bonds we have with our American neighbours in so many ways. We can all pray for what can be a great nation again, one which can do great good in our world with the right leadership. Let's pray as well for the safety of Barack Obama and his family.

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Welcome back. I agree we need to pray for Obama's safety and that of his family. I think the fact that his first out of country visit will be to Canada is a very good reminder of the bonds we share with our American neighbours.

Laura said...

Yes, he sure has his work cut out for him...so miracle worker he may need to be in the days ahead. I did here someone on CNN refer to this moment of inauguration as a secular miracle..watching Mr Obama's grassroots supporters today reach to the sky with their hands, tears rolling down their cheeks and "thank you Jesus" on their tongues...perhaps a secular miracle...perhaps not...but so very inspiring. Surely makes our politics seem bland...Hope that Mr Obama and family sense the hopes and prayers of Canadians for their successes and safety. We are all in this life together.

Lynnof61 said...

I heard on the news on the weekend that when the Prime Minister is sworn in it is done behind closed doors! I'm not sure if that's true but in thinking I can't remember ever seeing a P.M. sworn in. We need a little more pomp and ceremony...we need some pride....we need a government to be prideful of!