Sunday, January 11, 2009

Shalom Now


I keep waiting for the nation of Israel to exercise restraint and some degree of humanity during its incursion into Gaza. Day by day the death toll mounts with more than 800 dead Palestinians, about a third of them children. The infrastructure of this tiny, crowded area, home to a million and a half people, has been destroyed by relentless bombing. Before the Israeli army moved in 750,000 Gazans depended on food from the United Nations. This crisis has heightened the numbers and need. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7812295.stm

From my teens I have been a supporter of the state of Israel and I have visited with groups on four occasions. Each time I am reminded of the importance of this area to the three great monotheistic religions and of the message of peace which Jesus taught and exemplified.

Something has gone terribly wrong in the "eye for eye" approach of both Palestinian extremists and the Israeli government. At the beginning of Israel's assault -- a justified response to Hamas rockets -- a poll showed that roughly 80% of Israelis agreed with the action but only about a third believed that it would make a difference. So what is this other than brutal retaliation?

I have been encouraged by the Jews in this country and even in Israel who realize that this sort of aggressive "tit for tat" will lead to greater hatred, deeper enmity. The group called Peace Now demonstrated in Tel Aviv yesterday.They are willing to speak out, even though it is not popular. Again, I invite you to pray for the peace of this region.

*****************************


I will be away on continuing education during this week, so I won't be musing online. I'll talk with you soon. Shalom.

1 comment:

Ian said...

I increasingly fear that this conflict will continue eye-for-an-eye until the outcome is last one standing.