Friday, January 30, 2009

There Probably is a God!


So, a proposed ad campaign on Toronto Transit Commission buses by atheists is receiving lots of media attention. The encouragemnent is to accept that there is probably no God, which means we can now go out and enjoy life. These ads actually began in Britain as a reaction to Christian ads on buses. There was a link to a website promising the fires of hell to those who didn't turn to Christ.

I have no problem with this freedom of expression, providing the ads are not hateful or deliberately misleading. These actually say that there probably isn't a God, which is more of an agnostic position than atheistic.

I have said before that my objection is to a society where any recognition of a deity in the "public square" is expunged. I listened to an Ontario postal worker yesterday who has been told that he can no longer greet his co-workers with "Lord, thank you for a beautiful day!" He has been saying this in French for years, following in the footsteps of a former postie who introduced the expression. He offered it cheerfully, no matter the weather, and his co-workers responded in kind. No more though, because one employee objected. The postal worker had never prosyletized or talked religion in the workplace but now he must keep his greeting to himself.
My faith actually helps me deal with worry and anxiety. My understanding of Christianity is not based on the threat of hell but the promise of abundant and eternal life.

I'm not getting much in the way of blog response these days, but are you okay with the bus ads? Should we have the freedom to express our faith discreetly?

7 comments:

Nancy said...

When I heard the interview on the CBC the other morning with the York student who is spearheading this I had mixed feelings. Yes it is freedom of expression and maybe if the slogans are not hateful...something I am pondering. I, like you have never felt that if I didn't believe in God that I would go to hell. It is sad that some are giving and getting this message. They need more of the message that God is love and forgiveness.

Laura said...

No, I am not so "okay" with these ads, mostly because to me it is an "attack ad", like the political ads that surface in the late days of elections (which I hate), telling me what's so wrong with the other party, but not much about what is right in their own party....that whole thing I drive home with my kids about not making ourselves feel better or bigger or right by pushing someone else down...succeed on your own merits. So if humanists wanted to increase their following by telling us what they do believe, I'd be okay with that as I am not offended that other people have other beliefs than I do. Although as you say David, I can't "infringe on others' freedoms" by speaking my faith in public places, so why is this bus ad any different? And I guess just mostly, it offends me that something so personal, that I feel so strongly about is so negatively protrayed and set up for public display.
Interestingly, the ads in Europe evidently originated to help lonely athiests who felt alienated during Christmas...funny, often I
I feel like a lonely Christian celebrating Christmas in our secular society. Perhaps I will take out a bus ad...

Laura said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
shirport said...

I think the lack of blog responses this week may be partly due to the fact that many of us have been preoccupied with shovelling snow. Please Lord, make it stop!!
Also you have raised some very difficult issues this week - Canada's mission in Afghanistan, child poverty, bodies and souls. We're still reading and thinking, just not expressing. Thank you for helping us to keep engaged in the world around us.
I too have been following with interest the story about the atheists' bus ads.The ad seems to assume that if you are a Christian and believe in God, you are miserable and spend your life worrying about going to hell - a very narrow,olf-fashioned, fundamentalist notion.I can't remember when, if ever, hell was mentioned at my church! Our faith is so positive,and uplifiting. Ever human being I know worries but we have a loving and nurturing God who is our rock in times of trouble. I think the atheist bus ads are funny but show a complete misunderstanding of the Christian faith today.

Laurie said...

I welcome the ads.They get people talking about religion. Dialogue between people is great. Your blogs this week have been good for discussion, not the type that you can really comment on with out a 2 hour discussion.

David Mundy said...

I'm with you on the snow shovelling Shirley. We probably all have a bunker mentality these days.

Two weeks ago I sat next to a fundamentalist Christian who was certain that Roman Catholicism is a cult and all its adherents -- including close members of his family -- are going to hell. We didn't even get to people who follow other religions. While I stayed civil, I found this guy's version of Christianity deeply offensive.

So while I disagree with the conclusions of atheists, I appreciate why they respond in the way they do to some Christians. The difficulty is, as several of you point out, this does not represent the faith we have experienced.

Wouldn't it be helpful if we could engage in civil rather than accusatory conversation about what matters. Oddly, the bus ads are about abundant life, which was and is Jesus' promise.

I'm glad to hear from all of you. I write this blog as I reflect on the world I live in. I appreciate your perspectives and they help to hone and reshape my own.

Deborah Laforet said...

I hear that the United Church will respond to this ad with, "There probably is a God; so stop worrying and enjoy life." I guess it goes both ways.

It is actually the second part of that phrase that bothers me. I believe we all worry too much. Many of us deal with stress, anxiety, and depression. In many ways, we do need to just enjoy the short time we have on this earth. My concern is that this phrase will mean to some that we need to stop worrying about everything and live in a state of ignorance and bliss.

My faith, my belief in God, challenges me to remember those who are forgotten, to love those who are hated, and to care for those who are suffering. My faith challenges me to live simply, and to be aware of how the way I live affects others and the earth. My faith is what makes me a better person.