Saturday, February 21, 2009

A Feast of Joy


The Globe and Mail newspaper has published an occasional series of correspondence between Canadians Ian Brown and Jean Vanier. Brown, a writer and broadcaster, is an agnostic and 55 years old --roughly two thirds of the way through what would be considered a "good run" of a life. Vanier, the 80-year-old founder of the L'Arche movement for the mentally and physically disabled is a recipient of the Order of Canada. As you may remember from previous blogs, I am a great admirer of Vanier, and Brown is a thoughtful and respectful writer. Here are a few paragraphs from Vanier's part of today's exchange on the end of life:

Do I have fears today? Maybe a fear of emptiness, of a void, of anguish. Today, I have energy - what will it be like when I can do nothing but wait, waiting for a visit or longing for a moment of inner quiet, a peace, a gentle presence of God? I will not fret today about what might happen tomorrow.

Today, I live moments of quiet peace when I am not doing anything - just present to life, to creation and to God. Prayer can be a true place of rest. Prayer can also be a cry of pain and anguish, of loneliness. I suppose that is what I fear most. But I imagine that all will be well when the time comes.

You asked me what will happen as I slip into this other world of light, of peace, of extreme tenderness of life after death. Here is what I believe: I have lived all my life in faith and in trust, so I will continue to live in this faith. I trust in life and in people; I trust in my own heart and spirit; I trust in love, in God, in the struggle to be more loving, more truthful. I trust in creation, the birds, the flowers and the seasons.

Today, we are on Earth, in a land of shadows and sometimes of darkness, but one thing we know: Our hearts, so often wounded, are beautiful. They are made for love. There are times when we feel guilty, angry or depressed, and we blame others. But maybe at some moment a little light comes into our hearts and we begin to hope, to believe.

Let us wait then for this new world we have glimpsed. Let us prepare for it each day through loving others, walking in faith and becoming men and women of peace. Heaven is heaven - a feast of joy, prolonged as we continue to help and walk with those who are still struggling on their journey.
Peace,

Jean


6 comments:

Laura said...

I had kept this article out this morning, after recycling the rest of the paper, as a keeper. I found myself smiling often as I read it, and thinking such insight will need to be revisited...Good timing for us at St Paul's after the "spiritual practices" finale on dying well.

Laurie said...

Jean Vanier has been one of my favourite writers for years. his book of poetry is well worn and often quoted. I am in a place of so called "sins' this week. Read your blog to my son and we decided that it is easier to "sin" when it is warm and sunny.

David Mundy said...

Maybe we should suggest to the Roman Catholic church that a good way to reduce sin would be to issue toques, parkas and snow boots to all members

Lynnof60 said...

I was catching up on your blogs David and want to thank you for sharing this. It has made me want to read some of Jean Vanier's books (articles?) Reading this made me feel very at 'peace'...it is beautiful. Thank you.

David Mundy said...

Hi Lynn,

If you want a copy of everything he said I can make it for you, or you can find it on the Globe website.

Lynnof60 said...

THat would be great David...in your 'spare' time....