Monday, March 16, 2009

Book of Negroes Revisited





Last week the novel The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill won CBC radio's Canada Reads competition. Five advocates "made the case" for their picks and one was chosen as the winner. You can check out the other winners on the CBC website. While I didn't follow the competition, I approve the choice on the basis of my enjoyment of the novel.

It is a gripping story of an African woman named Aminata, who is captured in Mali, transported in slavery to the the American south, eventually makes her way to Nova Scotia, and...well, I can't spoil the ending. While some critics claim this journey of a slave woman is improbable, there were in fact many whose lives involved years of movement across the Atlantic and even back again.

I read The Book of Negroes two summers ago in Nova Scotia. I purchased it before hearing the positive reviews and with little idea of its story. You may recall from an earlier blog that I realized as I read that I was situated in the area where the Nova Scotia portion of the story took place. We were just outside Port Mouton, mentioned in the book. My brother and I found Birchtown, the black community near Shelburne which is also important to the story. You will see photos above of our visit to the Birchtown museum site. The wooden structure is an example of the hovels people lived in. Click on the sign photo to read some of the history of Birchtown.

The Canada Reads win reminded me of the importance of Christianity both in the perpetuation of slavery and in aiding slaves to become educated and to move toward freedom.

Have you read this novel? Are you planning to read it?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am planning on reading this. I know it was a book club pick for the reading group I am in, before I joined them.

David Mundy said...

You won't be disappointed.

shirport said...

I have read it and would highly recommend it. Not only is it a compelling story but in reading it I learned so much history. I was very pleased to hear that it won the "Canada Reads" award.
Do people know that Lawrence Hill is brother of the musician Dan Hill? - who has also recently written a book about his own life.

Lynnof60 said...

I didn't know thst about Lawrence Hill! It was an amazing book. It is one of those books that for some time after every book you pick up it pales by comparison. David, my cousin in Nova Scotia will be thrilled you have included this in your blog...not only is she reading and enjoying this book but she is a fan of your blog...so...a shout out to Nova Scotia!!!

David Mundy said...

In addition, their father was a prominent activist and politician. A remarkable family.

Now, let us raise our lighters aloft and sing together

"Sometimes when we touch,
the honesty's too much..."

Maybe not.

Lynnof60 said...

yoiu are so "with it"....

Deborah Laforet said...

I read the book after I read about it in your blog. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I am a history buff, and I am always keen on learning some Canadian history, so it was interesting for me to hear some American and Canadian history.

David Mundy said...

I'm glad I scrolled back, Deb, and saw your comment.