Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Earth Hour is Coming!


Last year I encouraged people in the St. Paul's congregation to observe Earth Hour, a simple task of turning off the electricity in homes for the hour between 8:30 and 9:30 PM on a Saturday in March. Many followed through on the challenge, some more thoroughly than others. We shut off all our lights and computer. Others shut down everything in the house for an hour.

We played a game by candlelight while others sat and talked. Those of us who play musical instruments could get in some practice.I discovered afterward that the public schools had done a great job of promoting Earth Hour.
The next morning in worship we turned off the lights, sang from hymnbooks rather than projection, and our organist played the piano instead. It all symbolic really, but an important reminder that we can choose to live more lightly on the planet, even for an hour. We will do so again this year.

Will you participate this coming Saturday, March 28th? http://wwf.ca/earthhour/ You can win a trip to see polar bears in the Arctic if you sign on for Earth Hour online.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a hard time getting my family to agree to this. We turned out the lights last time but someone who I will not name refused to turn the TV off. (I think this makes me a tattle-tale doesn't it)

Lynnof60 said...

We were talking about this last night. We are going to be at a play on Saturday night and I was sorry that we weren't going to be home to observe it. I commented that it would be fun to have company and just sit around and chat. So the decision was that the next time we have company we will observe one hour of 'unlighted' conversation.

Deborah Laforet said...

We had a great time last year. We actually turned all the power off with the power breaker in the house. I have read that even when appliances are turned off, there is still energy being used if it is plugged in, and it would have been way too much work to unplug everything in the use. That right there is an indication of how much power we use.

We also lit candles and played games. Unfortunately, I won't be around this year. I will be in Winnipeg for graduation at the Centre for Christian Studies. I have suggested that CCS find a way to observe this time amidst all the activities though. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do. And of course, I'm sure Jeff and the boys will have fun on their own.

Laura said...

Our girls wanted to "practice" last Saturday night, as they thought a night of candle light quite special last year. Although I noted that the diligence in switching lights off and such, which they founded last Earth Day was dwindling, even sputtering. Good to re-focus, and yes we are in. The school kids all register on their school board's web site.I appreciate Pupil's comments that as kids get older a candle lit dinner with parents may not quite cut it. We will savour for now.

Nancy said...

Last year we played charades, not sure what we will do this year, but no doubt our nine year old will dictate to us...:)
Yes, the school systems are in. On Friday at our school all lights, computers etc will be shut off between 10:00a.m and 11:00 and then as a school we are headed outside to do a Spring yard clean up.

David Mundy said...

How encouraging to read how this will happen for your households, even though it may not be at the designated time.

I commend the schoolboards which promote this. It will be fun on Sunday to find out how many kids have participated.