Thursday, March 26, 2009

Thank God for Children

The last two weeks have been very demanding with one activity after another, day in and day out. In the midst of it all was the funeral last week for a beloved member. I seemed to drag through the days following.

Then there are children who manage to brighten my days without much effort. One of our delightful little ones was in the office visiting his grandmother earlier this week when I walked in the door. He gave me a smile, then pointed urgently into my study. Obviously that is where I lived, and I should return to my lair!

Two days ago I came in to the sound of a little girl asking "where's David?" "I'm here!" I announced. "It's my birthday!" she told me with great enthusiasm. Three years ago she was a gift of joy to her adoptive parents and she never ceases to amaze me. I laugh nearly every time she comes by (she goes to the nursery school) because of something she says. Not long ago she was leaving and her mother suggested she say goodbye and maybe blow me a kiss. She didn't think so and left without a word. I had returned to my study when the door swung open and she deigned to say goodbye, then blew the kiss with the flourish of a dramatic sweep of her arm.

Last but not least. On Sunday Rev. Cathy talked to the kids about a visit to St. Vincent's kitchen, a meal program where volunteers must wear hair nets (she put one on.) At the end Cathy invited participation at the kitchen by adults and one little girl needed to know, in all earnestness, if it was necessary for her Dad to wear a hair net since he is bald. Great question. I could hardly stop laughing, although I didn't let her see my amusement.

Joy often takes us by surprise and we are so fortunate in this congregation to have the presence of children who embody joy, without even trying. They lift my spirits. Thank God for children.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is why I read with the JKs at the school in my neighborhood every Monday morning.

Stacey said...

Here is a gift from Jake- a joke for you..

Q: Why was the tomato blushing?

A: Because he saw the salad dressing

Just thought I would pop in and say hello.

David Mundy said...

Good to hear from you Stacey. Cute joke. I hope all three of your boys are doing well. May the Chinooks be with you!