Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Healthy and Whole

Yesterday I came to work to discover that an older member was in the local hospital. I walked down to see him and in conversation we revisited his frustrating history of declining health in recent years. He has gone through what seems like countless doctors' appointments and tests. While his cancer surgery seven or eight years ago was a success, he continues to do battle against a number of medical issues. He commented that he has cost the healthcare system a fortune.

I came back to my study to find an email from Sojourners, a Christian magazine from the States which addresses important social issues. This one began:

Dear David

While our nation tries to decide whether and how to reform health care, 18,000 people in our country die each year unnecessarily because they lack affordable health coverage.¹

This is not acceptable.


Of course this was a form letter and the United States is not my country. It does seem to be a major injustice that the wealthiest nation on earth can't figure out a healthcare system that benefits everyone. It's not acceptable, as the email states. President Obama appears determined to bring reform to a broken healthcare system, but he is already taking lots of heat on this one.
Since I spend a fair amount of time with those who are ill in body and mind I know that our system is far from perfect. Yet I regularly see how universal healthcare benefits people and not just a fortunate few.

What are your thoughts about and experiences with the provision of healthcare in this country?

5 comments:

Laurie said...

I think our health care system is very good, not perfect but good. All one has to do is travel or live in the States for awhile to see how good our system is. Yes they have very good doctors and care but it costs a fortune and it is not available for everyone.

Anonymous said...

I have been thinking about this subject lately, oddly because I have an aging and sick dog. As she climbed up my husbands chest at the vets last week, looking terrified and yet so sure we will take care of her, I couldn't help but see a child clinging to a father in an emergency room. So as we stood there trying to decide how much we could afford to do for Toto, in terms of keeping her comfortable while she goes through the last stages of her life, I couldn't help but feel for people in the USA who are faced with these decisions in regards to their children and elders. It is quite a sobbering thought to come through the terrified eyes of a cherished pet.

Deborah Laforet said...

I grew up in the states. I was the oldest of four and we lived in a single parent home. Going to see a doctor wasn't an option. Unless we were bleeding and needed stitches or had pnuemonia or something really bad, we stayed home, bought over the counter drugs, and hoped for the best.

Fortunately, none of us ever got really sick. It was interesting though when Jeff and I had children. Jeff would want to take the kids to the doctor at the littlest sniffle, and I didn't feel the need to go until they were really sick. We still disagree about this at times and I wonder whether it is because we grew up with such different ideas of health care.

David Mundy said...

I agree Laurie. I have seen so many of our folk receive excellent care and the mess-ups are few and far between.

Pupil, we have gone through similar experiences with our companion animals and gasped at the cost of care at times. What if we had to assess our care for family members in the same way?

Your observations, Deb, are a reminder that we shouldn't take the Canadian system and its doctors for granted through overuse.

roger said...

Let us all pause a moment before we rush off to the hospital emergency or doctor's office. It would seem many are seeking treatment for some pretty trivial problems. This does not help our health care system. Obviously if you need help, seek it....but gosh if you have a hangnail or the sniffles, I think you can treat yourself! Sheesh!