Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Piece Be With You


We know that Canadians are very much like our American neighbours in many respects. This blog has readers in the U.S. and one in Saskatchewan who is an American citizen. We also have significant differences, and I was reminded of this by an article in Christianity Today. It is entitled Piece Be With You, a play on words about carrying a "piece" or gun to church. http://blog.christianitytoday.com/outofur/archives/2009/06/piece_be_with_y.html
There have been a number of shootings in American churches in recent months, including one involving a physician who performed abortions who was shot and killed while ushering in his congregation. How would we address that in an ushering workshop? One of my aunts attends a church in Texas where a gunman walked in and shot dead several parishioners. My aunt was in the building at the time.


The CT article notes that a number of churches now have armed guards and some even encourage parishioners to bring their weapons to church. One pastor has encouraged all of his congregants to bring their guns on the July 1st holiday weekend to exercise their right to bear arms. Blessed are the piecemakers! I wouldn't want to go to their church picnic.

To Canadians this probably seems, well, nuts. Fortunately it does to a lot of Americans as well. One commenter on the article offers:

Perhaps, the real question is do we trust in God or guns? If we cannot trust God to secure our times and places of worship, then what can God do? The early church did not arm defenders to protect worshipers, rather they became martyrs. God is able to protect and defend his people, and at times he also calls us to become witnesses with our lives. Stephen would be an example that comes quickly to mind.

This does raise a bigger question of faith and security. We probably don't support gun-totin' marshalls at church, but what about police patrolling our streets? Or our soldiers fighting and dying in Afghanistan?

What do you think Jesus' words "blessed are the peacemakers" mean in our context?

5 comments:

Laurie said...

Raises all kinds of questions. In Britain only certain areas do the police carry guns, other areas they have stun guns( a whole other question). I do believe in less guns world wide would be better for us all. As for the war in Afghanistan the sooner out troops come home the better.

Deborah Laforet said...

There is a small town I pass through in Saskatchewan that has a small sign on the way out. It is advertising a hand gun club. I found this sign quite shocking. Hand guns? There is a lot of hunting in SK, and many own hunting guns, but hand guns?

When I read that a pastor has encouraged congregants to bring their guns to church, I am shocked. What is happening within our churches, especially in the states. What makes people think that carrying guns will protect us or make us safer? I think some churches have become so fearful of the outsider that it gets in the way of our mission to the outsider.

Anonymous said...

There have been times when I thought things would have been better for my boys had there been a police officer patroling the school. Whether the officer should be carrying a gun, well, I can't say. I would hope it wasn't necessary. I would be more inclined to think that the presence of a gun would only make kids in trouble consider arming themselves. In church, I would hope I never ever have to ask myself whether I have remembered to slip my gun in my purse. So I guess, I am for more police partoling our neighborhoods. I can't see a good reason to carry a gun myself. It seems to me that the more guns, the more suspicious and fearful a population becomes. I think as Christians, it is important to put some faith in God and to be amoung those who decide not to arm themselves.

Laura said...

When I went back to the Beatitudes (blessed be the peacemaker),my study bible referred me on to Romans 12 which for me offers a clearer image of an achievble, living peace...( I paraphrase...)"Hate what is evil. Cling to what is good.....Do not repay anyone evil for evil...If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone." I guess I found challenge and comfort in the phrase "as far as it depends on me". Yes we are called to faith and trust, yet God too is "depending on me" to act on my faith. "Turning the other cheek" peace has its time and place, but human fraility creates some pretty scary times and places requiring police, and more, and I don't believe God is asking us to peacefully let evil overtake us but to be sure that our responses are founded in peace, not fear or power or revenge or????

David Mundy said...

Okay, we're agreed, we won't "pack heat" in our churches. I imagine none of us own a handgun, let alone contemplate hauling one around with us.

Your responses are good reminders of the importance of a commitment to peaceful living, something that seems to have been missed in some congregations across the border.

Unfortunately we live in a culture where some people (police, military) need to be armed and to act on our behalf. We can only hope that they act within the laws and treaties designed to protect us all.