Saturday, June 20, 2009

Spiritual, Not Religious


The latest United Church Observer has several thought-provoking articles including ones on John Calvin, stem cell research and use, and the destruction of a church-run health clinic in Gaza by Israeli shell fire.

The cover article is entitled: I'm not religious. I'm spiritual. It looks at the growing trend in North America, even in the United States, away from organized religion. Still, many people describe themselves as spiritual, even though they wouldn't darken the door of a church, synagogue, mosque, temple, or sweat lodge (how politically correct was that?) http://www.ucobserver.org/faith/2009/06/not_religious/

At its best I see general spirituality as a good thing. It indicates our yearning and recognition of something beyond the ordinary. I have met a fair number of people who are deeply spiritual but not attached to a faith tradition. At its worst the use of the term "spiritual" seems vague to the point of uselessness. As the article notes "the word 'spiritual' is applied to channelling, meditation, astrology, prayer, 12-steps programs, belief in extraterrestrials and how it feels to bite into a slice of cheesecake." I often have the impression that in our "what's next" society, spirituality is just the latest trend, with Oprah telling us what or who should send us into transcendence this week.

I suppose I've always assumed that to be in relationship with God, and others, is to be spiritual. I practice religion as a Christian for the purpose of worship and living in community with those with a common purpose. Religion can be rigid and exclusive, but it can also call us to faithfulness and be a corrective to "me-first" spirituality.

Our lovely neighbours across the street are living in a building which was once a church. It is appropriate because they hold gatherings for meditation, AA, and drumming. We get along very well and have some great "spiritual" conversations. I find it interesting that while they don't attend a church, it seems as though they are creating one, however informal.

How do you reconcile spirituality and religion, or do you try?
The guy on the Observer cover makes me think of a joke our daughter Emily told me: The hotdog vendor asks the Buddhist, "what will you have?" And the Buddhist answers, "Make me one, with everything!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the article you refer to. I think that life would be bland without some spiritual experiece. I think it is true anything from baking bread to researching our ancestors has a touch of the spiritual in it. I think the reason I feel I need organized religion is because , as you point out, spirituality can be focused on the individual, and I would add the self improvement business. Where as organized religion is about belonging and committing to others. I think we need both.