Thursday, August 06, 2009

Brothers and Sisters in Christ



Christianity may be the majority religion on planet Earth, but Christians are in the minority in many countries. In Pakistan, as an example, 1.6 percent of the people are Christian, and currently they are under attack. Homes have been ransacked and burned. Churches have been vandalized. Individuals have been harassed and murdered. In one village 50 homes were destroyed and eight people killed.

Both Pope Benedict and the World Council of Churches,of which the United Church is a member, have chided the Pakistani government for its inaction on behalf of these beleaguered citizens. It appears that the police often turn a blind eye to the persecution and so it escalates.

I wonder how I would respond as a Christian if persecution began in this country which honours religious freedom. Would I retaliate, or would I be inclined to disappear from public view. While I want to believe that I would "dare to be a Daniel, dare to have a purpose firm, and dare to stand alone" as the old Sunday School chorus declared, I'm not toughened to hardship.

What are your thoughts about the appropriate response to the persecution of Christians in other parts of the world? Have you ever been scorned or shunned because of your faith?

3 comments:

Deborah Laforet said...

I hope we never have to worry about persecution in this country, but if there was, I hope that we could stand together and stand firm. I don't think I could do it alone. Of course, we have seen this kind of resistance in other countries, and it ends in bloodshed. It is a difficult reality.

As for being "scorned or shunned," I think this does happen in this country. The majority of people call themselves Christian, but the number of Christians in a religious community is lessening all the time. Sometimes, especially as a minister, I feel excluded or left out, or just seen as 'different.'

Susan said...

In a earlier career, I worked in a Christian bookstore and I was shunned by some of the clients because I attended and was a member of the United Church. I am ashamed to admit that I got to the point that when I was asked what church I attended, my answer became "a country church".

David Mundy said...

Thanks for both of these responses. When I read yours, Deb, it occurred to me that in our country we might be gently (for the most part) ignored for being Christian. We may not be persecuted, but we are considered peculiar because we are people of faith.

I have conservative Christian friends, Susan, who puzzle over the United Church and rather good-naturedly chide me for our liberal stands. I appreciate you joining the conversation.