Thursday, August 13, 2009

I Feel the Winds of God Today


I have been intrigued for years by Tibetan prayer flags. They are a traditional way of offering up prayers by writing petitions on pieces of coloured cloth and allowing them to flag in the breeze. This notion of prayers offered to the elements and the Judeo-Christian connection between wind and Spirit has stirred in me the desire to "adopt" this practice.

So how did I miss the request for congregations of the United Church to create prayer flags to be strung aloft in the meeting place for General Council? More than 400 congregations heard the call and they are adorning the hall where the commissioners are assembled. It will be interesting to hear whether this General Council is becalmed or moved by the Spirit of Life. One of my favorite hymns is an "oldy goldy" called I Feel the Winds of God Today.

I feel the winds of God today; today my sail I lift,

though heavy oft with drenching spray and torn with many a rift;

if hope but light the water's crest, and Christ my bark will use,

I'll seek the seas at his behest, and brave another cruise.
Bye the way, each day there is an intro to the activities of the court through a brief Youtube video available on the General Council link I included with Monday's blog.

2 comments:

Deborah Laforet said...

Those who made their prayer flags from cloth will have the opportunity to have their flags woven with other flags to be made into quilts and then sold to support the Mission and Service Fund. So, watch for these beautiful prayer flag quilts!

Laurie said...

My son has Tibetan prayer flags around his living room. Even though he rejects organized religion he says he likes the idea of words blowing around. positive thoughts=positive action.