Friday, August 07, 2009

To Blog or Not to Blog


I received an encouraging email from a regular blog reader a couple of days ago. She expressed her appreciation for both my blog and sermons posted on the website. While she doesn't respond through the comment option, I hear from her regularly. The same is true of others who read and comment verbally or through email. When I came back from vacation a number of you welcomed me back. Those of you who do comment might be interested to know that one person quoted practically "chapter and verse" on your responses. A number of readers let me know that they are curious about what others have written.

I am just about at the third anniversary of this blog and it actually becomes easier to write and reflect as time goes along. In the beginning it was work to come up with two or three blogs a week. Now my list of possible subjects nearly always exceeds the days in the week.

My goal with every entry is to make some sort of faith connection as I share information or tell a story. I do attempt to give you some insight into the life of this congregation and aspects of what happens in ministry. Although I see some readers virtually every Sunday, there are many things that just don't seem appropriate to share in worship, yet are are important elements of our life together.

In addition I glean the stories of faith from the world around us, some encouraging, some controversial. I offer my "take" on them and hope that you form your own opinions whether in print or over your cup of morning coffee.

Thanks for connecting along the way.


6 comments:

Laurie said...

Thank you for your blog. I don't comment all the time but I do read it everyday. Lots of time I type out a reply and then delete it.I find that a short reply doesn't work that well when it should be a dialogue. You have touched on many topics that I am interested in. Sometimes they make me mad, sometimes I am so touched by what you have written, So once again thanks for writing them.

Laura said...

I admire your capacity and discipline of world issues, David, and appeciate your ability to break them down to bite size chunks to "chew" on as I go about my days as a world citizen, and Christian. Also nice to have an online community of thoughtful readers and responders to share with...thanks for taking the time and energy for this ministry.

David Mundy said...

I suppose I'm hoping for the gamut of "sad/mad/glad" responses to blog entries, the way I do for sermons. I figure that some messages should rile us up and others should provide solace.

Both of you touch on something I wrestle with. How do I address often complex subjects in a few words (there is no point in gassing on in a blog)and still do them justice? It makes it a challenge to write, and I appreciate that readers must wonder whether it is worth responding in a couple of sentences.

The positive side is that there are readers, and that the "silent majority" appreciate the responses.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Deborah Laforet said...

Happy 3rd anniversary! This has been a great way for me to remain connected with the St. Paul's community and to stay up on current events. (I'm guilty of avoiding the 'news.') It is also a goal for me blog regularly. For now, I continue to read this blog and offer responses.

Thanks David!

Not Alone said...

Your blog is an important part of my daily/weekly routine as I am sure it is for others.

I want to thank your few responders for their insights also. Having extra comments to read is an added delight!

Many of us are perhaps computer 'shy' or feel we cannot adequately put our thoughts to words. Perfectly describing what is in one's mind and heart is a challenge that creates a barrier for some.

David Mundy said...

I'm glad I glanced back and saw your response Not Alone. It supports the notion that responding can be a bit daunting, although I am regularly impressed by the comments of folk who read but are too nervous to "take the plunge" of responding online.