Sunday, October 18, 2009

God's Party Ain't Over!



Where to begin about today's worship?

We had a wonderfully engaging guest speaker in the person of Cuyler Black, a Christian cartoonist and humourist featured in the Observer magazine with his Inherit the Mirth cartoons. He managed to be really funny and really Christian at the same time. My wife Ruth figures he looks like a cross between Tom Cruise and Donny Osmond, which has to be taken as a compliment!

Our senior choir and junior choir and the music group Fish for Breakfast led our singing and offered up praise worthy of an important birthday party.

And then there was the Collective of Black Artists (COBA) who knocked our WASP socks off. They danced and drummed us into worship in a way that was breath-taking and powerful. The drummers stayed at the front through worship and "juiced" every other piece of music along the way. Our last hymn was Celtic in character and they managed to catch the vibe, even though it wasn't exactly their genre.

What do we do for an encore on our 175th? Well tonight, Cuyler and Fish for Breakfast will lead another service at 7:00 for youth and the young at heart. Not bad for a venerable old congregation.

3 comments:

Lynnof60 said...

Is it my imagination or are his front teeth sparkling? I do believe they are! What a wonderful service. We have been absent for a number of weeks, holiday, family, etc. It's when I return that I think "I have truly missed this in my life". I loved the music, the message, and the 'joy'! Thank you to St. Pauls for being such a 'happenin' church! I feel blessed.

Nancy said...

It was an awesome weekend, and we took part in all of it. When my husband came home at 3:00 Sunday afternoon after doing the historical tour, we decided we would relax for the evening. However, our daughter who is a tween really wanted to attend the evening service, so off we went. It was a great service and hopefully everyone, teens and others got the message.

When putting my tween to bed, I asked her what she got out of the evening, her response: "I learned that running into a telephone pole would be an embarrassing way to die!" I asked a few more questions, and with a grin she said, "yah mom, I get it". :) So with humour the message was received.

Thanks to all for making the weekend a great one. Let's hope the next 175 years are as inspiring.

David Mundy said...

It's good that we could welcome you home with such a stirring service Lynn. I think a fair number of women liked the twinkle of his teeth. What did Donny Osmond sing? -- And they called it puppy love...

Your story is great Nancy. I could tell that the kids and youth were lapping up Cuyler's stories and message.