Saturday, October 10, 2009

Living Cathedrals


The tree in the photograph above (click on it to get a better image) was taken by National Geographic photographer, Michael Nichols. This redwood is over 300 feet or nearly 100 metres tall. There is no camera that can capture an image of this height in the confines of a forest, so this is actually a composite of more than 83 photographic images. Nichols took photos for the recent cover story on redwoods and became fascinated with these trees.


I feel that trees are one of the glories of creation and so often taken for granted, particularly here in Canada where they are generally common. I am writing from home where I look out at a huge spruce, a cedar, several maples and a catalpa tree. Since we have lived in the manse we have planted a spruce to replace another sizeable tree that came down in a storm, two small pines, a serviceberry tree, and a lilac. Our predecessors also took it upon themselves to plant a number of trees and bushes on the property. We moved here from beautiful Halifax, the City of Trees, where the downtown streets are lined with magnificent, overarching trees.

Years ago Ruth accompanied me on a trip to Vancouver Island which was church business with a bit of vacation tacked on. We drove to the west coast and Pacific Rim Park where there are a couple of trails through old growth forest. The experience was akin to the emotional response to seeing whales. Beside one giant there was a sign saying that it would have been a seedling when Marco Polo set out for China in the 13th century.

I have noted before that the bible is full of references to trees and the tree of life figures in the first book of the bible, Genesis, and the last, the Revelation of John.

Do you have any personal reflections on trees, either because of their presence in your life, or their absence (we have at least one reader from Saskatchewan!)

5 comments:

Susan said...

Trees are very important to me. I can't imagine my life without trees and being able to see the seasons change through the trees. When I need solitude - I go to a park or conservation area or the family wood lot. For me - it seems that I can sense - hear - feel closer to God amongst the living trees. I am not comfortable with heights - especially when using ladders but I love to climb trees - trees make me feel safe. There is an old family story - I was living in Peterborough and got a job in Oshawa and I had to find a home in Oshawa so I placed an ad in the local paper but had to go back to Peterborough (also a city filled with trees) to work out my notice before finding a place. Therefore, my parents were given the task of vetting the apartments for me - my only demand/request was that I had to have trees in either in the backyard or frontyard and a bathtub. I was blessed, they found the perfect apartment for me - bathtub, property lined with trees and a landlady who became a grandmother figure/friend to me. My spirit would whither up in a treeless environment.

Laura said...

As wonderful, and yet frustrating as old apartments and houses can be, we have always chosen to live in them because along with the character of the structures come beautiful trees.
This Thanksgiving weekend, the first that we have spent at home in many years,away from our usual cottage retreat, reminds me of the walks down the cottage road that I enjoyed with my Mom in later years, who lives with Alzheimer's, and how every few steps she would stop and look up at the magnificent trees and comment with amazement at their miraculous heights. At times, I felt weary with the same conversation but looking back, I am grateful that Mom slowed down my walks to admire creation.
Other favourite tree recollections are the first sightings of palm trees as we have driven south, and camping on the Pacific Coast, near Seattle, with trees as large as I have ever seen (and banana slugs as big as I ever want to see).

David Mundy said...

Thank you for these comments which, among other things, point out the connection between trees and memory. As I read them it occurred to me that whenever I hear the wind in pine trees I think of canoe and camping trips from the past.

I hope readers clicked on the photo which will give an indication of the size of the redwood.

I would enjoy hearing from others.

roger said...

You mention Saskatchewan....true, from the Transcanada Highway, there are few trees. However, if anyone is looking for a wonderful holiday(with lots of trees), check out the north(Prince Albert or up) or the SW corner of the province in Cypress Hills(and yes, there are hills!).

They also have the best CFL fans in the league, but that's another story....

Deborah Laforet said...

I'm a month behind in posting, but I thought I would put in my two cents worth on trees. I love trees. I love to watch them sway in the wind, I love to watch the leaves fall, and I love to climb them. I was sure I would greatly miss trees when I moved to Saskatchewan.

I have to admit though that I love the wide open spaces. I love being able to see a full sky of stars, fields full of rich harvests, and beautiful sunsets and sunrises without anything to obstruct the view.

I am fortunate though because I have lots of trees in my backyard. We have lots of leaves to rake, the boys love to climb trees, and my hammock among the trees is one of my favourite places to be.