Saturday, November 07, 2009

Pandemonium


When Jesus visited a place called Caesarea Philippi with his disciples they ended up in an intense conversation about his identity: "who do you say I am?" Jesus wanted to know. The gospels don't tell us that this was a beautiful, mountainous area or that they may have stopped for water at a shrine to another god, the god Pan. While Pan is often portrayed as rather sweet and faun-like, in mythology he was powerful and scary. His traditional image with horns and a tail and cloven hooves was taken over by the church in medieval times as the representation of Satan.

Pan was the god of ominous sounds of the night in wild and mountainous areas. So we have the word "panic" in our English vocabulary to describe the emotional and physiological response to groundless fears. And there are other words such as pandemonium, loud and disorienting sounds and activity. How about pandemic?

As we travel further into the 'flu season we are constantly being made aware of sensible precautions to ensure our health, including vaccinations, and mundane practices such as washing hands repeatedly. There is no doubt that this is a pandemic. At the same time we are nudged toward panic by unrelenting news coverage and appeals to our deepest fears and anxieties. Not surprisingly we are now into the "blame game," pointing fingers at governments slow to respond and queue jumpers who are too quick in getting their shots.
"Cause for pause" that Jesus, who so often encouraged people to live beyond fear, may have asked his followers to figure out who he was at a spot dedicated to the god of panic. I won't lie; I do think about the wellbeing of my adult children, especially my higher risk daughters, and the implications of a full-out pandemic. At the same time I don't want to be an idolater, worshipping a false god of fear.

How are you doing as you move through all this? Do you feel more or less secure than a week ago when I raised this subject? Does prayer help to fend off the god of panic?

6 comments:

Nancy said...

As the weeks pass, I find myself counting them off, "made it to Friday, no huge illnesses". This is not a good way to live, but until we are able to get THE SHOT, my mind wanders in all sorts of directions and yes, panic sets in. Then I start to wonder if the shot is a good thing or not. To calm myself, I find myself doing deep breathing exercises and yes praying that we make the right decisions for our family.

As the number of absences in our school dropped this past week, one starts to think that the worst has passed, but we are told to expect another wave, and yes, some have been struck twice.

To answer your question, I feel no more secure than a week ago when you raised the subject. Media certainly adds to the panic, frustration and questions.

Laurie said...

Being in 'high risk' groups my family got the shot this week. I do feel like the media is having a great time with the story and causing some panic among people. In the U.K. many people are sick with the flu but it is not a major story in the papers or on the news. They had their vaccinations in August and then they did the schools in September.

Susan said...

Three weeks ago, I came down the cold - stayed home, attended the cold and got rid of it within the week - I thought. Within 5 days, back it came with fevers, chills and a raspy barking cough that pulled at muscles. I have been home sick another week. Apparently, this cold/flu virus stays around for 5 weeks according to a local doctor. I pray and hope that's the case.
What I am noticing is that schools are sending children home when they show first symptoms of cold/flu. I am more aware of people who work in the public who have colds and look for the hand cleaner.
Do I feel differently than last week - yes - more tired and frustrated because of my own sickness. Am I going to get the flu shot - doubt it - been sick twice already. Would I recommend getting it - probably for those at risk - I did get the flu shot the year my mom was getting treated for cancer - I wanted to keep her as health safe as possible. Not sure if there are clear cut answers but certainly prayer and seeking God's peace can quiet the restless spirit.

roger said...

I am doing everything I can by way of natural measures to hopefully prevent the flu. I am resisting the shot, although I worry that I could pass it unknowingly to my elderly parents or my daughter. That would be the only reason for getting the shot. In the meantime, I am doing daily nasal rinses(sounds charming, doesn't it), salt water gargles(both of those take about two minutes a day), and continuing to eat lots of fruit and veggies. And lots of sleep and exercise.

I try not to take anything medicinal, even aspirin, unless absolutely necessary. And being male, of course I try to not go to the doctor. That may not be the best thing to do, but it probably has something to do with twisted male logic.

May you all be healthy during these trying times.

Anonymous said...

I am afraid I am still a frequent whorshipper of the god of fear. [weird sentence if you read it carefully]. Some days are better than others. Some days I am afraid I and my family will get the flu before we have the shot, some days I am afraid of the shot. Some days I am perfectly calm about it all. Some days I feel I am safe no matter what happens. Some days I feel like my head is spinning and I hope I can get the shot soon just to be done with all of this.How's that for a response?

David Mundy said...

Recently I spoke with a reader who doesn't comment online but let me know that she reads this blog in the morning, then again in the evening to check the comments.

She will be pleased to see the variety of comments about this entry. Thank you for the range of observations.

I have the feeling that we are all trying to figure out what to do for our own health and welfare, as well as for our families. Some of us have ended up with the 'flu and others are taking preventative measures or trying to decide whether we should.

In the end we are trying to avoid panicking and seeking a degree of God-given peace in our choices. Thanks.