Saturday, November 14, 2009

So-So Samaritan


Two St. Paul's members underwent surgery this year to remove a cancerous kidney. Fortunately God provides each of us with two, so while this was serious stuff they have come through the surgery and the recovery remarkable well. Which is good, because I like them both very much, and did my best to be a pastor both before and after.

Today I heard an interview with two women in Washington state who met because one served coffee in a cafe and the other bought a coffee from her each day. They had minimal contact, but they chatted as the purchaser fished out her change to pay each morning. The barista noticed that her customer seemed uncustomarily "down" one day and asked what was happening. With a little nudging the customer admitted that both her kidneys were failing and she was going on dialysis.

The barista knew that her patron had children her age and that they shared other things in common. She decided, hey, I have two kidneys so maybe I can share one. She found out the other woman's blood type and other pertinent information and in the end she did give her a kidney.

Wow. I thought about this. As I say, I have a lot of time for both the people who lost a kidney this year (I'm not just saying this because one is a regular reader) but if either of them had been in total kidney failure, would I jump up and offer one of mine?

I know the parable of Jesus about the Good Samaritan, but maybe I'm just a So-So Samaritan. Would I give a kidney to one of my kids or my wife? Yup. A parishioner/friend? Perhaps, although I'm no hero... A virtual stranger? Please don't ask. The story raises some interesting questions about sacrificial love and compassion.

How about you? Who is kidney-worthy in your life? Do you see yourself as altruistic?

4 comments:

Lynnof60 said...

Well imagine my surprise when I thought this morning "i haven't checked David's blog in awhile" and then to my surprise there is David offering me a kidney should I need it. OR is that what you said? It would seem you are in a quandary. Who can blame you? It is no small decision. However, I am going to put you on the list of 'maybe's' should I need to go to the list. I have had 3 people offer me a kidney should I need it, however, I have since found out that they won't take a kidney from anyone over 60. I am going to cultivate younger friends.
Thanks for the kind words David. You were great comfort both before and after!

Anonymous said...

How much time do I have before you turn 60 David?

Laura said...

Yes, a quandary for certain, especially when it goes outside immediate family...Are we "allowed" to love our neighbours, but love those we feel we couldn't live without a little more? Something I do think about, yet hope never to be faced with...

I have been quite intrigued by the stories of late where a spouse isn't a match for their own spouse in need of transplant. Another matched donor offers to donate their organ and in turn, the spouse that couldn't donate to their own partner,"pays it forward" by becoming a donor to another stranger without a family member to match.The hope being then that that family will also feel inclined to "pay it forward"...and so on..probably haven't explained it too clearly but great possibilities as most of us would likely consider giving up our organs if we knew that in turn soemone would do the same for our loved one.

David Mundy said...

That's interesting Laura about the "swap shop" approach to organ donation. Inventive! You're right that establishing the extent of our neighbourliness is a challenge.

I wasn't aware, Lynn, that there is an age limit to organ donation, but it makes sense.

Pupil, since I have a small window of opportunity (five years) the more important question is, how generous are you feeling?