Sunday, January 24, 2010

Communion Wine Watchdogs


Did you know that the juice used for communion in most United Churches is Welch's? It is appropriate since Dr. Charles Welch, a physician and dentist, developed pasteurized, and therefore non-fermented grape juice in the 1890's. His goal was to create an alcohol-free juice to be used in communion, for the benefit of teetotallers. It took a while to become popular but Prohibition gave it a big boost.

We have strong Methodist roots in the United Church and have officially frowned upon the consumption of alcoholic beverages in churches, including wedding receptions and other non-liturgical events.

So, we don't have to worry about the LCBO's new, stricter guidelines on communion wine and other alcoholic beverages used in religious ceremonies. I didn't realize that the rules were less stringent for religious organizations, but some unscrupulous enterpeneurs were taking advantage of the situation. Apparently the LCBO is going to keep a more careful eye on us.

Would you have a problem with real wine being used for communion? What about being served at other events (we would have to obtain a license.) No, I can't get you a case of vino at a discount!

5 comments:

Nancy said...

I do enjoy a good glass of red wine! I would not be opposed to serving wine at communion, however I have to think of others. I had a friend growing up who was an alcoholic, and her greatest fear after a period of being dry, was communion, as her church used real wine. I will have to talk to my friends in other churches and see what they do for alcoholics. If we were to go with wine we would definitely have to offer an alternative for those who are in this situation, and for those who are allergic, as some are. Would children take communion? They would be "drinking" under age or would they? Many things to consider.

As for other events, why not? Obtain the license and go for it!

IanD said...

This really is an interesting line of thought. I'd never really considered this an issue for some people like Nancy's friend.

Wow.

Laura said...

Like Ian, I hadn't thought of the perspective that Nancy's friend would hold on this issue.
I have thought that a stronger taste then Welch's might give a bit more impact to the moment, I cautiously say, even for our children, but I suppose that same sense could be derived by a little more work on "being in the moment" on my part.
There was an interesting take on this issue in yesterdays Globe, written by an athiest who thought it unfair that we Christian's were getting our wine, sacrimental wine that is, at a great price due to the low tax on it. It appears from his experience though that you need a note from your church to get it at the lower price, and if one thinks of the thimble size sip we take at communion, I don't think we'll have converts lining up.
I too am okay with the occasional licensed church event. My sense is that our faith needs to be lived from our core, personal choices made everyday because of our beliefs and not just a strict code of "thou shalt nots".
PS Did see Blind Side this weekend. Sandra Bullock's last line does thank God, and although the film didn't proseltyze, I felt the good works and strength of character evidenced throughout the film were easily, although in a subtle fashion, attributable to the faith at the core of the foster family.

Anonymous said...

I have to be the party poop-er. I am one who is always relieved when I can go to a social function that does not include the serving of alcohol. There are so few places I can go where this is the case. As the alcohol abuse of others has darkened and spoiled every childhood memory I have, I long for a world that does not require it. I am strongly opposed. It may be self protective overkill, but that's the short version of a very long and painful journey.

David Mundy said...

As usual, all of you make really reasonable observations, even though they offer different perspectives. In one congregation we had a chalice for both juice and wine on Maundy Thursday and people could choose. And of course a wedding reception in a church is different from a church-sponsored event. Sensitivity to the needs of everyone is necessary but challenging!