Monday, January 11, 2010

God's Winter World


I keep hearing the warnings and complaints regarding the bitter cold. It seems to me that we are experiencing is January in Canada. Ask the people out west about real cold. They have been in the deep freeze for weeks with daytime highs the equivalent of our nightime lows.

We have been getting out for walks fairly regularly and I love what I see in the winter. There are tracks plainly visible which require a much more attentive eye in the summer. Yesterday we saw the clear imprint of wings in the snow, probably an owl, with a small spot of blood in the centre. Some hapless creature provided dinner for an aerial predator (click on the photo, which is not mine.)
At the edge of Lake Ontario there are interesting ice formations that are constantly changing. Near Second Marsh folk have cleared the pond and a gang was out skating.This is still God's wondrous world, it just takes on a different appearance at this time of year.

I am reading a book called Winter World by biologist Bernd Heinrich. I have come to the conclusion that many field biologists are cheerfully insane. They tramp around in wild places and are so focussed on their work they put up with all manner of discomfort and privation. In the book Heinrich explores how tiny birds such as kinglets and chickadees manage to survive conditions which would kill us off in hours. I love being introduced to the sheer complexity of our northern ecosystem, even at a time of the year when we assume life is "on hold."
Are you cocooning these days, or have you ventured out?

3 comments:

IanD said...

I, for one, am LOVING the return of 'old man winter.'

It's been ten years since I played hockey regularly, and it was this year that I finally made the decision to fill the bag back up with new gear and get to some serious training at both the gym, and at outdoor rinks in Scarborough and Orono.

I learned the game as a teenager in Orono, and have returned to the old Mill Pond for frozen workouts each Saturday morning at about 6am. It's during those times that I'm reminded of the very things you write about, David: how you could complain about such a beautfiful season, such a beautiful GIFT is beyond me. The cold air in your lungs, the crunch of blades and the sun over the trees as I head home (and the neighborhood wakes up) are great feelings that I'm thankful for.

I love that you routinely point us back to the gift of nature so often in your blog.

Laura said...

We do a little of both..cocooning has a certain appeal in January although that can turn to cabin fever by February. I do also love the fresh air and sunshine,when we are fortunate enough to be graced by the sun's presence in what can truly be the bleak mid-winter in Ontario. My four legged walking companion though doesn't care whether the sunshines or not so he keeps us moving all winter.
I am no biologist, and half the time my mind is a million miles away as I walk but I did notice a shrub full of tiny chickadees during last weeks cold spell, and stopped to admire and listen and wonder how such tiny little beings could not only survive but seem so happy in the frigid temperatures. Makes us humans seem pretty wimpy!

David Mundy said...

I do notice, Laura, that canines convince lots of people to get outside even when their faces (the humans) are expressing that it is a lousy idea.

I'm glad you chimed in because for a while there it appeared that only Ian and I were crazy enough to brave the cold. In the words of Red Green, Ian, keep your stick on the ice!