Wednesday, January 20, 2010

All Dogs Go To Heaven?

I don't like to admit it, but twenty first century Christianity can downright goofy. I read an article recently about a new pet care service which has been developed by atheists for End Times Christians. These Christians believe that Christ will return and only a select few true believers will be "raptured" away from Earth. Those left behind will have to take their lumps and of course heaven will only be for humans. So these atheist entrepeneurs wants to take care of the elects' pooches -- for a fee of course. Here is the promo on the website http://eternal-earthbound-pets.com/ :

You've committed your life to Jesus. You know you're saved. But when the Rapture comes what's to become of your loving pets who are left behind? Eternal Earth-Bound Pets takes that burden off your mind.

We are a group of dedicated animal lovers, and atheists. Each Eternal Earth-Bound Pet representative is a confirmed atheist, and as such will still be here on Earth after you've received your reward. Our network of animal activists are committed to step in when you step up to Jesus.

I know pet owners who would rather be Left Behind than leave their companion animals. And don't we know that All Good Dogs Go To Heaven.

What is your "take" on this? Are Fluffy and Fido going with you? Do animals other that humans have souls?

5 comments:

IanD said...

This is close to the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I wonder if they're a Fortune 500 company yet?

Terrible.

Laurie said...

Thanks for my laugh of the day.
Still pondering the whole soul idea.

Dromedary Hump said...

Hello, I'm Bart the creator and co-owner of EE-BP,USA.

Many of your Christian brethren have referenced "all pets go to heaven" in emails to us. But, the Christian doctrine has no clause for animals going to heaven. It's simply not scriptural. There are many Christians who take verse and interpret it into feel good doctrine, but it's simply that...fell good doctrine with no theological basis.

But I would like you to consider something: The Christian salvation doctrine as it is written in scripture is highly exclusionary. That is, it excludes people who believe differently, or have no belief, and who in spite of great works and contributions to civilization are assigned to a place of eternal pain and torture for their lack of belief. It is unique among religions and frankly hideously in opposition to a "loving God" concept that Christianity purports to represent. It's oxymoronic.

Now, lets add to this this marvelous feel good concept of all pets going to heaven. What that would imply is that your pet turtle, cat and the squid in your fish tank get to beam up to heaven, and hobnob with Jesus, while Anne Frank, Jonas Salk, Albert Einstein, Carl Sagan, Mahatma Gandhi, and billions of other good people burn in hell because of their lack of belief, in spite of their innocence and/or contributions to humanity.

I doubt I could come up with a more intolerant, offensive and obscene doctrine if I tried.

At any rate, we started up our operations in June 09, and as of November signed our 100th client.

Yours in reason,
Bart
aka Dromedary Hump

David Mundy said...

Hey Bart -- thanks for adding to the conversation. Good news for you -- many Christians interpret scripture very differently than you describe. There is always a danger in assuming everyone subscribes to the same outlook in any religion. I can honestly say I and perhaps the majority of Christians have room for Anne Frank and Gandhi.

Reading your response I can't help but wonder if your "service" is actually a bit cynical and retaliatory, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

I'll invite you to move to Canada -- the weather may be harsher but we may be a kinder, gentler society. Blessings!

Dromedary Hump said...

Thanks, Reverend,

As something of a student of religion, and being versed in scripture I'm aware that the 2800+/- Christian sects / denominations interpret scripture differently.

Here in the US the vast majority of Christians accept the admonishments that only belief in Jesus will gain entry to paradise. The concept of good works being a pathway to salvation without belief is heavily discounted, if not rejected, by that majority.

While an ugly doctrine, I do accept that these believers are being more true to scripture than modernist / liberal Christians who tend to modify Christian doctrine to a kinder gentler interpretaion. It's indicative of the evolution of religion to best suit the needs of an evolving culture.

Of course, had god been a better communicator, or editor, he'd have not made / allowed so many conflicting verses on the subject.

Actually, my service was intended to generate some extra income. It has been successful in that regard. I save my cynicism, and "retaliation" (?) for my blog and my books.

Stay well,
Bart
aka Dromedary Hump

Ps: Thanks, but I could never live in Canada.

I dispise hockey, don't drink beer, and enjoy shooting my pistols too much to give them up.
New Hampshire is, happily, the 2nd least religious state in the US, with among the lowest crime rates, highest standard of living, etc.

If there were a god I'd call NH "god's country". ;)