Friday, January 15, 2010

True Heroes


As I prepare this week's message on false gods and idolatry as part of our series on the Ten Commandments I keep thinking about the reports from Haiti. I have actually been fighting back the tears as I hear about the dead and the suffering and I'm reminded that we choose to forget about those who are the least of this world until catastrophe strikes.

I am also thinking about those we tend to idolize in our society, often those who become important in our eyes because they are physically beautiful or can entertain us for what is usually a fleeting moment.

Shouldn't we admire, although not idolize, those who have served in places of poverty and need, such as Haiti, working faithfully and diligently without reward other than caring for others? We have heard about a Canadian nurse serving with a Christian mission who was killed within a couple of hours of arriving in Haiti, although this was not her first trip, as you can see from the photo above. I listened to an interview with a Salvation Army officer who with his wife is doing his best to aid the people they work with on a daily basis. He admitted that during the past couple of days he has worked so hard that he doesn't have time to ponder what has unfolded until he lies down at night in the courtyard of their damaged buildings. He is surrounded by those who have lost everything and it is hard not to overwhelmed.

These are the people who are the true heroes of our world and we should uphold them in prayer. God bless them.

Any thoughts about what you are seeing, feeling? How are you responding?

4 comments:

Nancy said...

I agree that those who work without complaint as you mention, are truly heroes!

We too are watching the reports with tears in our eyes, and listening to the stories. I heard today of two children here in Canada who are giving $800 - their Christmas money, to a charity who is helping out in Haiti. The 12 year old was interviewed and heard to say, "they need it more than I do". A discussion with the young people in my life will happen tonight at the dinner table.

My husband works with a woman who has family in Haiti and is anxiously awaiting news of her family. We have discussed giving her money. We have asked her if she knows of a route to get the money directly to those who need it. We are awaiting her response. If she is not able to do this, we will give to one of the aid agencies.

Laura said...

I can't help but wonder why we ended up being born in Canada, into safety and abundance...and as in my mind, there is no answer, I remind myself what incredible responsibilty comes with our affluence.

David Mundy said...

I heard and saw those same children, Nancy, and the twelve-year-old was remarkably articulate, as well as generous (is it because she is the daughter of a lawyer?) The United Church Emergency Response fund will be eligible for matching government funds.

I share your thoughts Laura. How is it that I was born into this land that is often cold and inhospitable in terms of weather, yet I have lived a lifetime of security and prosperity?

You may have heard that the governments of Quebec and Canada are planning to fast-track some Haitian immigrants to allow them out of that country to join family here. I am wondering whether we can consider sponsorship in conjunction with a Montreal congregation. Our son, Isaac, works in a church at the edge of the Haitian district in Montreal and they have a good relationship with a Haitian Seventh Day Adventist church.

IanD said...

The Haiti news has been difficult to digest, and often I have found myself only skimming the headlines, not quite able to bring myself to absorb the suffering spreading through that nation. The plight of children is especially horrifying and heart-wrenching.

Real heroes are doing legitimately heroic things as we speak in Haiti: aid workers, doctors, American troops ... even the CNN correspondent thrust into a leadership role at a coastal hospital are all doing their best in what can only be called catastrophic conditions. It is heartening to see humankind answering the bell.

With respect to what the rest of our 'heroes' are doing, the apparent response has been mixed. George Clooney is hosting a hastily thrown together telethon soon. Former U.S. President Bill Clinton is raising funds through his foundation, and even the Nation Hockey League as an entity has donated $100 000 to the Red Cross.

On the other hand, televangelist Pat Robertson has claimed on his program The 700 Club that Haiti's supposed pact with the Devil (made centuries ago to dislodge French imperialists) is the reason behind the devastation. They've just been handed what they deserve, apparently.

Thanks David, for looking into options with Issac in Montreal. I have a feeling that it will be we regular people that can do the most good.