Sunday, February 21, 2010

Anno Domini


We begin our Lenten Sundays and the movement toward Holy Week and Resurrection Sunday --Easter. This is a season for reflection and contemplation, including asking ourselves who Jesus is for us. A lot is written these days about Jesus. Some question whether he actually existed. Others portray him as a social activist. A cosmic principle? Saviour of humanity? Christ of all Creation?

It's important to be able to ask our questions without fear, but also come to the conclusions which allow us to be disciples and live out our faith in Christ. I have provided a link with what is called a virtual museum and an exhibition of images which touch on the various aspects of who Christ has been perceived to be. Just click on any image on the wheel and it will enlarge and offer some commentary.

It's interesting that the term Anno Domini is used for the exhibit, the source of our "A.D." employed after the year eg. 2010 A.D. In scholarly circles the initials C.E. are often used denoting the Common Era, rather than A.D. which is "year of our Lord."


Which image or images speak to you? I am partial to the Chagall painting of a Jewish Jesus on the cross, displayed above. Are you still working to clarify your portrait of Jesus. Is he the Christ for you?

4 comments:

IanD said...

Interesting display.

The one which reached me most was Jesus as Liberator. The connection between the post-Romantic Christ and the civil rights movement just makes sense to me, and, working further back from the 60s to the slave trade, the image of Christ as liberator or as a bridge to "the promised land" after this one is one that still resonates.

Cool.

David Mundy said...

Thanks for responding Ian.

Susan said...

Can I choose more than one? In the group presented, I was intrigued by 3 for various reasons. "Jesus - Prince of Peace in a World of War" appealed to me because of the words - supposely faith brings peace to humanity, yet so many wars have been fought in the name of religion. I was also taken with the picture itself because it was not a typical painting. Two other paintings appealed to me because of their use of color - 'The Teacher of Common Sense' and 'Jesus the Man Who Belongs to the World'. Those paintings were the brightest in color amongst those displayed and the brighter hues appeal to me.
I think, though, my favorite portrait of Jesus/Christ is a series of 4 line drawings that I remember from my youth that show Jesus' face expressing anger, laughter, and 2 other emotions that I can not remember at the moment. For me, these 2 particular images of Christ were transformational because they showed me for the first time, the divine Christ expressing feelings that I could relate too and understand.

David Mundy said...

Thanks for your choices as well Susan. I like that both of you offered your rationale -- or emotionale -- since art touches our emotions.

I remember those line drawings Susan. They were everywhere for a while, then disappeared. A quick look around the internet didn't yield anything.