Saturday, April 03, 2010

Death Sentence


During Holy Week I tend to blog about...Holy Week. The events of this powerful drama consume me as I plan worship and see people who need to be seen in this season. Of course the events of the world go on, some good and life-giving, some dark and destructive. A few days ago terrorists struck once again, this time in Russia. How terrible that the innocent die so randomly, going about their day-to-day activities.

This week there was also a report from Amnesty International about executions around the globe in 2009. The good news was that there wasn't a single government sanctioned execution in Europe. I say "good news" not because I feel that those who are guilty of serious crimes should go unpunished. It's just that I agree with that old slogan: "Why kill people to prove that killling people is wrong?"

The troubling news is that thousands were executed in China, although there were no specifics because the numbers of people sentenced to the death penalty are a state secret. We know that in the past and perhaps today still, some of those killed are practitioners of various religions, including Christianity.

The report said at least 714 people were executed in 17 other countries, led by Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia and the United States. Methods of execution included beheading, stoning, electrocution, hanging, firing squads and lethal injection.

You may be surprised to learn that frm time to time there are still executions by crucifixion. It is a grim, painful form of the death penalty and the Romans knew it was an effective deterrent for crime and insurrection.

Do you connect Christ's crucifixion with reports about executions in the present day? What do you think about the death penalty?

1 comment:

Susan said...

The number of people executed last year was new information to me and I was troubled about the high number of executions. I wonder of those executed - how many were women or were women even included in the report. I was surprised to read that crucifixion was still used as a execution. Although, when watching dramas on TV, I am always startled when they show an execution by lethal injection. I am startled because of the image - the person to be executed strapped to the bed and his/her arms spread out - like a cross.
As appalled as I am with the horrific crimes that have been reported in the news, I am against the death penalty. I don't have an alternative answer but taking someone's life is not answer either.