Friday, April 09, 2010

Making Waves for Christ


When I was in my later teens and early twenties I was greatly influenced by the story and the writings of the late German pastor and theologian Dietrich Bonhoeffer. Bonhoeffer was part of the Confessing Church in Germany, resisting the Nazis. While he left the country and lived safely elsewhere for a time, he chose to return as a resister and witness to the horrors of Hitler's regime. Although Bonhoeffer was a strong believer in peace he was part of a plot to assassinate Hitler. As a result he was executed in April 1945, just a few months before the end of the Second World War.
He was only 39.

Today a new biography of this remarkable man is being published to mark the 65th anniversary of his death. It's important that his life and death are still being honoured. Here is a Bonhoeffer quote:

Christianity stands or falls with its revolutionary protest against violence, arbitrariness and pride of power and with its plea for the weak. Christians are doing too little to make these points clear rather than too much. Christendom adjusts itself far too easily to the worship of power.

Christians should give more offense, shock the world far more, than they are doing now. Christian should take a stronger stand in favor of the weak rather than considering first the possible right of the strong. Sermon on II Cor. 12:9

Should we be willing to give more offense and shock the world more as Christians? We tend to "fly under the radar" in our culture, to the extent that we no longer make much of an impact. Does the thought of being outspoken and perhaps ostracized for your faith make you uneasy?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The short answer is "yes." It makes me uneasy. I can't tell you what my husband and I have been through just over the fact that we expected our children and their friends to say No to alcohol and drugs. We not only had almost zero support in this, but we became dispised troublemakers, not just in the eyes of the kids pushing drugs on our kids, but in the eyes of their parents as well. It was as if people expected us to lay down and die while we watched our loved one disappear into a world of drugs and apathy. I admire those who risk their very lives to make their stand on important social issues. I can't imagine the strength it takes to risk your life, than alone your populairity. I faltered many times in my resolve to fight back.

Laura said...

Yup...quite uneasy even though its not "execution" we'd face but just perhaps being a little less popular, as Laurie says. I will say that as I get older, I perhaps feel a tad less uneasy flying closer to the radar but still struggle wondering if it's worth the anxiety to speak up when I weigh the chances of my words actually changing other people: sometimes though it just needs to be said.

Deborah Laforet said...

Shocking the world sounds kind of exciting to me. I get a thrill thinking about a group of Christians standing up for what they believe.

I think we all need to be doing more letter writing to the politicians, engaging in protests, and speaking out against "Empire," either with words or our actions.

I'm not saying it's easy. There is always the worry of how we are perceived, if we are hurting or offending others, or if we even have the time and energy for it. But it is easier if we are not alone in our fight.