Monday, June 07, 2010

Heroes



This past Saturday a Bowmanville man organized a procession of motorcycles making their way from Trenton to Bowmanville. The goal was to honour the soldiers who have died of injuries after returning from Afghanistan and therefore were not recognized in the way those who died overseas have been.

We were in our backyard when we heard a bagpipe band and realized the motorcycles were coming...and coming... and coming some more. One newspaper estimated 1000 bikes rolled into town, although there were reports of much higher numbers. Whatever the case, it was an impressive display. A couple of my photos are above.

I found that I had a lump in my throat which was certainly encouraged by the pipe band playing The Maple Leaf Forever. I was overwhelmed with sadness for these young soldiers and their families. To my surprise I also felt anger. I am angry that these soldiers are dying in a cause that is the source of mixed feelings, even amongst staunch supporters.

I am angry because here we are in Canada, where the majority of us still claim Christian roots, and speak about upholding noble values in distant places, yet we continue to be addicted to the principles of "might makes right."

It has been a while since I have written anything on this subject in part because I feel overwhelmed by it all, and realize it is a "no win" situation. How can anyone be against supporting our troops?

I suppose I figure that if we are upholding Christian principles we should listen to the Christ who told us to be peacemakers. I don't want to see another funeral procession on the 401 and I want my heroes to be alive rather than dead.

Did any of you go downtown to see the bikers? Were your emotions stirred? Any other thoughts?

6 comments:

Laurie said...

I did see the bikers(just by chance). I too was very stirred by them. It was nice to see the " forgotten ones" recognised as "heroes".
I don't like what is happening and I don't like the term heroes. But it was a very moving display of honour and love.

David Mundy said...

Hi Laurie -- it's all or nothing! When I try to remove a few copies of your response, blogger takes everything.

Thanks for the attempt. I agree with your response by the way.

Laurie said...

I did see them (by chance). It was very moving. I was glad to see the "forgotten ones" being honoured. I have a problem with what is going on over there and here and I do not like the term hero, as in "Highway of Heros"
I was glad to see the ride and was moved by it.

Laura said...

We wandered down at the end of the day,as things were shutting down but saw lots of beautiful bikes converging on town from different vantage points throughout the day. I heard an organizer interviewed earlier in the week, and was quite moved by his sensitivity. Couldn't help but think as I heard several negative "biker" comments, though how unfair to hold on to such stereotypes.
That being said....the Highway of Heroes sees another soldier home today. It is saddening and angering...

David Mundy said...

Laurie is not trying to emphasize, or overemphasize, her point. Her computer is possessed and we are considering an exorcism.

I make the sign of the cross as I thank both of you for your contributions.

Deborah Laforet said...

It's definitely a difficult topic of discussion. I struggle with why Canadian and American soldiers are in the Middle East. Sometimes, I read words that make me believe that it is necessary, but most of the time, I wonder whether we are there of necessity or for political reasons. Are we acting justly or interfering? What is peacekeeping and are we holding true to that definition?

I feel that I am a pacifist, but then I wonder whether there shouldn't have been some interference in Darfur? Maybe there are peaceful ways we could have interfered. I just don't know. It is a complicated world.