Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Living Wage


I was impressed to discover a couple of years ago that Eleanor Clitheroe, the former head of Ontario Hydro was studying to become an Anglican priest. The television profile suggested that her family was living modestly as she worked toward ordination. I admired her resolve to move from a life of privelege in many ways to some of the sacrifices associated with ministry.

I got a jolt back to reality recently. Have you read that Clitheroe is currently suing the Ontario government to increase her pension from about $300,000 annually to $450,000? She claims that this is in line with her salary during her time with Hydro, which exceeded a million a year for several years, including a final year at 2.2 mil.

I have no idea whether her claims about her entitlements are accurate --the government moves in mysterious ways. I do try to imagine how she could preach about simplicity to a congregation, whether she is raking in her more "impoverished" pension or what she believes is fair.
This case does raise the question of what constitutes a "living wage" for clergy, whatever the sources may be. On the one hand, anyone going into the ministry for the money is delusional. On the other hand, we live in the real world and pay real bills. In my case I have two university degrees and thirty years of professional service. So what is fair compensation, knowing that Christ called us to be disciples and eschew unreasonable wealth?

Would you be comfortable with Eleanor Clitheroe as your minister? Do you have a problem with her claims to a higher pension? What is a fair wage for clergy?

3 comments:

Susan said...

David - what is a living wage for any working person? That is something I am struggling with while unemployed. Some friends and family members have encouraged me to take any work - even minimum wage work, yet, fulltime minimum wages do not cover my monthly expenses (rent, basic landline phone, basic cable, basic internet, bus pass, and food). Yet, while attending E.I. job search workshops, I have met people whose starting wages demands are $30. - $60./hour which blow my mind.
I would not feel comfortable with Eleanor as my minister, knowing that she is sueing the government for more money. Although, I am not comfortable with the severance packages or golden parachutes that many executives get when they are fired from their positions.

roger said...

I would have a problem with her as my minister. In my view, she lacks ethics and moral character.

Here is someone who had serious allegations of misuse of public money(and got fired) and now suing the government for a 50% increase in pension, which already is higher than the vast majority make as a salary.

She spent about $300,000 of company money in 3 years on limousine rides - some of which was for her kids and nanny. She also spent $40,000 of company money on renovations to her home.

To me, that seriously questions her character and credibility.

David Mundy said...

Thanks for your responses. I think that your question about defining a living wage is a good one Susan. The gap in expectation in our society is enormous, and it is often most evident in the salary expectations of those in corporate positions. We are hearing that execs with companies in the States which received huge government bail-outs are still paying considerable bonuses.

I have to wonder, Johnny, if Ms. Clitheroe was a scapegoat for the excesses during the Harris years, although we have seen evidence of similar feeding at the public trough in the current administration. In the end though, some of her practices were suspect, to say the least.

Both of you point out, rightly it seems to me, that the integrity of ministers is essential, even though we too have "feet of clay."