Saturday, June 19, 2010

Rogers Made Me Do It


I have been getting a real kick out of the Toronto woman who is suing Rogers, the media conglomerate for ruining her marriage. In what looked like a skit from This Hour Has Twenty Two Minutes she appeared at a news conference in wig and big sunglasses saying that when Rogers consolidated her cell phone bill with other family tech services without her knowledge or permission her husband discovered she was having an affair by looking at the list of calls. So, of course, Rogers destroyed her marriage and she deserves compensation. Okay, maybe it is more along the lines of Geraldine on the old Flip Wilson Show whose punchline was "the devil made me do it!"

I laugh and shake my head at the same time. What happened to people taking responsibility for their own actions? Should her husband launch his own suit against her, even if they choose to reconcile? Or should he also sue Rogers for...well, nothing I can think of, but a lawyer will surely come up with something.

There are so many New Testament passages which invite us to take responsibility for our sins and transgressions and then "get on with it" in Christ. I hope this case comes before a judge with a moral compass and a boatload of common sense, so that this is over in a hurry.

What was your reaction when you heard about this?

4 comments:

Laurie said...

I laughed. I am guessing it will get thrown out of court. In our society it seems that instead of taking responspility for our actions, we are always looking for someone to blame.

Laura said...

I hear alot of this "blame" when around kids and their parents these days..."its not my fault, we lost because the other team or the coach did this or that, or poor results due to the teaching and the system,the equipment yadayadayada"
As ridiculous as this case sounds, can it really be that this woman truly thinks that her troubles aren't her own doing? Yikes!!!!

David Mundy said...

It will be interesting to see how this unfolds. Thanks!

IanD said...

Completely stunned (me and her, and for different reasons.)