Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Mother and Child




A couple more blogs about my time in New Mexico before I move on. The responses haven't exactly been flooding in, so I may be having a conversation with myself in these sleepier days of summer.

The day after our course concluded and the morning of the day of my flight home I was invited by the course leader, Larry Rasmussen, to go with a small group of people to visit the Allan Hauser Sculpture Garden, a few miles outside Santa Fe. http://www.allanhouser.com/ Hauser was one of the U.S's leading sculptors with works in a number of galleries and other public settings around the country. He was also an Apache, so the States' most recognized aboriginal sculptor.

His work is amazing and many important pieces are in the Sculpture Garden located at his country home, workshop, and foundry for casting pieces. Limited edition sculptures are still being produced.

I was struck by the pieces which featured mothers and children. They portray such dignity and hope, a characteristic of Hauser's work, but particularly evident with this subject matter. Of course Madonna and Child paintings and sculptures have always been important in Christian art, but these works offered a different perspective.

Comments?

4 comments:

Laurie said...

Absolutely beautiful.
Keep the blogs coming, they always have something in them to discuss, think about,research,etc. Maybe the lack of responses is due to heat!

David Mundy said...

Thanks Laurie. I have actually heard from others who are still reading, and my blog does keep my mother informed about my ramblings!

Deborah Laforet said...

I'm reading too. It's been busy over the holiday weekend; just trying to catch up.

I really like the mother and child sculptures. When I see Madonna statues, I usually cringe. My upbringing in the Catholic church taught me of the white, blue-robed Mary who was virginal, without sin, and obedient. I enjoy seeing and hearing images of Mary that are different. These sculptures are beautiful.

David Mundy said...

I think it is hard to fan ourselves and use the keyboard at the same time. Good to hear from you Deb. Thanks for your water response as well.