Saturday, July 03, 2010

Treasures of Devotion


When I found myself with an extra morning in Santa Fe after my flight was cancelled I went downtown to take in a couple of museums I hadn't visited before. While Albuquerque is the largest city in New Mexico at nearly 900,000 souls, Santa Fe is the capital with a mere 75,000. It celebrates its four hundredth anniversary this year. As the capital it has been blessed with many excellent museums. There is a newly opened Museum of History which is very interesting, and alongside it is the Palace of the Governors, a four hundred year old building which is now a museum itself.

One of the current Palace exhibits is Treasures of Devotion, a collection of religious objects amassed by the Larry Frank family through the years. There are Spanish, Mexican, and Native influences in this work. The works date from 1700 to 1900 and these santos were created by santeros, artists who were respected for their skill and their personal faith. You can take a look for yourself http://www.nmhistorymuseum.org/tesoros/collection-alf.html

I find that art, including devotional art, often speaks very powerfully to me, and the wall of crucifixes in this exhibit had a strong impact. I use art images often in sermons because they reach a deeper reality, at least from my perspective.

Do you find visual images touch you? Any thoughts about this exhibit?

2 comments:

Laurie said...

It looks like a great show. Would like to go to see it.(A bit far away) I have a few religious pieces of art that I have picked up in different countries(Celtic cross from Ireland, Prayer stole from Ecuador, Russian icon, green man face, Kachina doll, etc.) They remind me that the spirit is all over and expressed in many ways.
I find that your sermons are enhanced with the pictures you use

David Mundy said...

Thank Laurie. I know that art is a significant part of your life. I can't imagine not processing my world without my eyes, as well as my ears.