Thursday, July 22, 2010

What God Has Brought Together...


Last week Argentina became the first South American country and one of a handful of nations around the world to legalize gay marriage. It was an acrimonious process, as is so often the case, and the Roman Catholic church as well as other religious groups vocally opposed it.

Among the arguments against gay marriage are that it will undermine the meaning of the institution, and weaken its sanctity. I understand why some are opposed on religious grounds, but I just don't get these arguments. Why would a small minority of people wanting to emulate the large majority pose a threat? If marriage is deemed worthwhile by gays, why would that weaken the institution of the large majority?

And has anyone noticed that the shift in our largely hetorosexual secular society is away from organized religion, including ceremonies such as Christian marriage? Many clergy, myself included, have stepped back from the "marriage business" because so few couples seem interested in a Christian wedding, although they still want to get married. I don't think we can blame this on gays.

Its important to note as well, that here in Canada no clergyperson, including those in United Churches, is legally required to act against his or her conscience.

Do you think legalizing gay marriage in Canada has undermined the institution of marriage? Do you think society has changed as a result of these laws? Feel free to be honest in expressing your opinion.

6 comments:

IanD said...

While I sympathize with many who feel that change is hard, I cannot see how excluding gays and lesbians from this process is anything but discriminatory.

In many ways, it reminds me of the civil rights movements in the United States in the 1960s - insofar as people are saying one thing, and doing another.

Here's a sports analogy to illustrate: During the late '70s, the NBA was on the verge of extinction because white sports fans were turned off by the 'blackening' of basketball. In a documentary on the subject I recently watched, one fan in Boston actually said, "It's not that I'm racist; I just don't want to watch (black guys) ruin the game."

Now, basketball and marriage are two different things, but the fact remains one cannot SAY that one is for equal treatment of gays and straights, and then BLOCK their participation in one of society's most basic and important institutions.

And besides, considering that 50% of marriages end in failure these days ... ? It reminds me of that fridge magnet I got my kid brother for his birthday a few years back:

"Let gays marry! They should suffer like the rest of us."

Deborah Laforet said...

Hooray for Argentina! I applaud every person, organization, nation, etc. for addressing this injustice. I know a few people in same gender relationships and I don't see their relationship as any different from my own, with its own blessings and its own hardships.

It would be nice to live in a world where all healthy relationships are encouraged and supported, no matter race, colour, gender, etc. Maybe someday...

roger said...

I don't have any issue with same-sex marriage.

Yes, there are people who object for religious reasons, but there are also those who object because those people are "different" and should somehow not enjoy the same rights as others. The latter group are the same people who do not knowingly have a family member or friend who is gay.

Many years ago, I worked in the film industry and there were many gays and lesbians in my office. I would happily attend any one of their weddings!

Nancy said...

Well said all of you. I have just finished a Young Adult book called "Totally Joe" by James Howe, about a twelve year old who is gay and the growth that happens in his school, re name calling, and accepting people for who they are. There were two lines in the story that I really liked. One was a button the main character wore was, "Being who you are isn't a choice." The other a quote from Eleanor Roosevelt, "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." How powerful this statement is.
I agree with Ian, re 50% of marriages ending in failure, and I don't think it matters what gender people are, the statistics are there.

Laurie said...

Deb, I am going to second your thoughts "It would be nice to live in a world where all healthy relationships are encouraged and supported, no matter race, colour, gender, etc. Maybe someday..."
Also it would be nice if politicians and other groups stopped being so concerned with people's sex lives and partnerships and more concerned with the environment, responsible government, human rights,etc.etc.

David Mundy said...

I wonder how many of us would have ventured to express these thoughts thirty years ago. Okay, a couple of you were toddlers thirty years ago, but you get my drift. For the most part those who object to gay marriage have become much more tolerant over time.

Thanks.